THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Reloading for the 9.3x74R cartridge in a double ?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for the 9.3x74R cartridge in a double ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got a deal I couldn't turn down so now I need to feed it....suggestions for good factory loads plus, for those that have one, how do you reload for it? Primers? Powder? Bullets?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill
Congratulations on your new double. Tell us about it.

Have a 9,3x74R Chapuis Double, with a 2.5x8 Leupold in QD mounts.
My rifle is regulated with RWS 293gr TUG, but I have used mostly 286 gr bullets.
In factory loads the 232 Vulcan and the 286 gr Alaska bullet have shot well. The 286 Alaska is a soft bullet and works good on deer and pigs.
The 286gr Sellier & Bellot shot good and kills pigs well too.
As for reloads the 270 Speer with 59gr of RL-15 shoots good with a velocity of 2390 fps.
With IMR 4831 65 gr. does very well with the 286gr Woodleigh SP, the 286gr. Nosler Partition, and the 285 Hawk .035jkt. These are the loads I use most often. With the 286gr Woodleigh Solid 63.5gr of IMR 4831 hits the same place as the 285/286 softs do at 100 yards.
The reloads are in Norma Brass with Federsl 215 Primers.
I can only load the Norma brass twice, it will seperate on the third firing. Others on the forum report the same results. If you can get some RWS brass they say it will last longer.
The loads with 286 Woodleigh Soft & Solids, and with the 286 Nosler Partitions from www.superiorammo.com shoot very well in my rifle, even more accurate at 100 yards than my reloads.
Hope this helps

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a new plain-jane Krieghoff Classic that I fell into and came up smelling like a rose on several levels...(1) I got a great deal, and (2) buying it kept me from spending a lot more on another double I found.

A couple of questions? (1) What caused the quick separation on the Norma brass and where on the case does it separate? (2) Are there any bullets that should not use in a double rifle? (3) Where, other than custom loaders, are good places to buy ammo and/or components for the 9.3x74R?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Norma brass is thin in the web area, it separates just above the rim. There ain't no flies on a Krieghoff, everyone I have talked to that has one liked it a lot.
Most people state do not shoot mono-metal [Barns X and solids] bullets in a double. Try some Norma 232 Vulcan and 286 Alaska factory loads in you rifle. Let us know how they shoot. Start with 63 gr of IMR 4831 and 286gr bullets, and work up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No 2,

You mention Nosler partitions ... is it OK to shoot them in the Chapuis? I'd have thought they'd suffer at least a little from the same problem as monometal bullets (slight bulge in the snake upon firing eventually causing problems with the solder joint).

Thanks!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mstarling
I have shot a couple of hundred in my Chapuis with no problems. They do not show higher pressure than the Woodleigh Soft point loads with the same powder charge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel drilling in this wonderful cartridge, plus twin 12 bore barrels. I get phenomenal accuracy with the 270 gr. Speer over 58 grs. IMR-4064, this is .6 " @ 100 yds.; this with RWS brass and CCI 250 primers. I get .75 " with 286 gr. Partitions with 56.5 grs.,all the other components the same as above. This is with a Leupie 2.5 or 4 power scope.

I do not shoot the Noslers any more than I have to as these "blitz" actions are not meant for high volume shooting, but, I have had no problems with this load thus far. I LOVE this cartridge, it took me years to find a drilling in this and it is just the perfect "truck gun" for B.C. meat hunting and pretty good in Grizzly country, too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No 2,

Sent an information request to Chapuis France asking about the use of Nosler partitions. They had their US rep call me within 24 hours of the e-mail. Very fine response!

He indicated that they have had no problems at all with the "give" of the barrels and Nosler Partitions ... even on drillings which have thinner barrels than the double rifles.

So ... we have conformation from the maker that things are good to go.

I did notice that your loads struck me as being on the steep end, that is pretty much on the factory max end of the scale. What sort of velocities are you getting with 286 gr loads? Could this be a clue as to why the cases are not lasting well?

Also noticed that the first of the Norma case I bought weigh about 202 grains, while the most recent weigh about 220 grains. Do we know what the case weight of RWS cases is? Maybe Norma is now using the brass forming capability of RWS for this caliber now that Nobel owns them both.

Also ask about the 20 gauge barrels while I was there. Mine are chambered for 3" ... and are marked as 76 on the underside. Interestingly I cannot find a making for the gauge. He did suggest they be limited to Bismouth and Lead shot. But there is no restriction of "Dram Equivalent" loads. Will stick to commercial ammo on that one though. Way too nice to screw up for a few pennies!

Thanks,

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

But there is no restriction of "Dram Equivalent" loads. Will stick to commercial ammo on that one though.

If you look at shotshell reloading data, the pressures for many of the very light target loads go just as high as the magnum loads do.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote