Notify
Tools

Recommendations for reloading equipment
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll only be reloading for the 223 Rem, 270 Win, 338WM. Here's what I have:

Press - Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax
RCBS 10-10 beam scale (delivery pending)
RCBS Uniflow powder measure w/stand (delivery pending)
RCBS Vibratory Case cleaner (delivery pending)

RCBS Deluxe Dies for 338 WM
Need dies for 223 Rem and 270 Win - Redding/Forster?

Hornady Reloading Manual - 4th Edition

I want to make sure I buy good equipment the first time so what's next?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I'd get a RCBS trim pro with the relevent shell holders and pilots.

And half a dozen 50x case holding trays.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redding or Forster dies are both very good.

Get a can of Imperial sizing wax by Redding.

One of those Lee hand primers with the tray that holds a hundred primers is a real time saver.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Nebraska, Big daddy is right, a good powder funnel is a great thing to have, and Sinclair has some awesome ones-- their 'Satern' powder funnels are awesome. I also use and recommend their primer pocket uniformers, You can just chuck them up in your cordless drill and they do great. Also the poly loading blocks are really nice. Take care--Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
powder trickler, lube pad

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are getting GOOD advice....I also like the RCBS Trim Pro trimmer.....and the three way trimmer head is great for one caliber but trouble changing the settings for different caliber and short runs of ammo...imo....the 10-10 scale is great and accurate...I second the Imperial sizing wax..GREAT STUFF....I have 5 sets of 223 dies..and the standard RCBS work good....the Redding bushing competition die works better for a bolt gun that is extra accurate but the difference is small.....the Forster Ultra seater is great and accurate for changing seating depth on load workups and seats straight..You need a good dial caliper to check case length and neck diameter if you don't have one and are going to try for most accurate loadings...same with a stoney point seating depth tool and comparator....I also like the Sinclair carbide primer pocket uniformer with the power screwdriver adaptor and either the sinclair OR RCBS flashhole deburrer/uniformer....this is for the extra little accuracy and consistant performance from better than average ammo......the better brass...Lapua and Norma often don't need the flashholes done as much as most other brass but it does seem to help with some loads...a good fitting powder funnel and manual powder trickler helps with topping off many powder loads...the Uniflow is good but some stick powders are hard to get good throws from any rotating drum type measure....good load record book or just notebook with the load data and specs will save a lot of time later and allow you to trouble shoot if a problem suddenly arises or you get a different gun in similar calibers...a standard deburr/campher tool-in standard form and then with some bullets you might need the long angle version mentioned......hth..good luck and good shooting-loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska, I second JCN's thoughts, I prefer the Redding dies, and Imperial die was is the way to lube your cases. I have some RCBS, Forsters and Reddings, and the means to measure them, Reddings are measurably better. --Good Luck, Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't tell DMV, but I used to uniform primer pockets and ream flash holes while I was commuting to work. I'm jumping on the Satern Aluminum Powder Funnel bandwagon. Really cuts down on the static electricity slowing case filling. I have the powered version of the RCBS case trimmer. Pretty handy. As my esteemed colleagues have noted above, those "three way" RCBS trimmer cutters that chamfer and deburr work well, but are a PITA if you aren't doing a big brass run. I have a Sinclair Case Mouth Deburring Tool Holder that I also use with my cordless drill. I don't do that while driving though because it works best if you look at the case while you deburr or chamfer.

Sinclair IS going to get some of your money in the next year he, he, he.

JCN

PS I almost forgot, but definitely get the micrometer insert for your powder measure. That makes it much quicker when you go to load. You can look up the setting from your records and you will be very close. Saves an immense amount of tweaking and cussing.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Redding dies are the best. I've had a couple problems with Forsters, but if you want a Micro-adjust seater they are the only ones that work on the co-ax with longer cases.
I second the recommendation of the RCBS trim-pro, especially with the 3-way cutters (trims, deburrs and chamfers all at once).
If highly recommend the Holland VLD chamferer available from sinclair - it eliminates any copper shaving you might get during seating. I pulled mine out of the handle and use it in an electric drill................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote