THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Nickel plated brass in an ultrasonic cleaner - problems!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nickel plated brass in an ultrasonic cleaner - problems!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello to all, rogues and gentlemen alike,

When I put nickel plated brass in my Crest ultrasonic cleaning unit (it hold 1&3/4 gallons) along with regular brass brass, the nickel plated units will often turn roseate (red/pink). No good.

When I fill the unit with just nickel plated brass, the pieces come out a very dark gray. Much tumbling in polish and corn cob media gives a somewhat shiny gun-metal gray color at best.

I use Citranox cleanser, diluted with distilled water.

1. Has anyone experienced this little tragedy?

2. Are there any recommendations for a different cleaning potion to use so that the nickel plated brass will come out nice and shiny???

My humble gratitude in advance.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your ultrasonic cleaner has a big tank at 1 3/4 gal.
To experiment with different cleaners you could put a few cartridge cases in a ziploc baggie and fill the baggie with experimental cleaning solutions. With the baggie sealed, place it in the ultrasonic cleaner with the tank filled with tap water.
The sound wave should penetrate the baggie and go into the experimental cleaning solution and vibrate the cases.
After you find a solution that does what you want, stock up enought to fill the tank of the ultra sonic cleaner.

As for cleaners I don't know Citranox, sounds acidic to me, I think acid and brass might not be compatiable, de-zinc the brass?

For a home made cleaner I would try TSP, distilled water and a liquid car polish (one of the aggressive types noted for restoring badly faded paint).
The TSP is a powerfull degreaser/cleaner and the polish may put the shine back on the nickel plated brass.
The water is to disolve the TSP powder, now this mix will form an emulsion with the polish.
You could throw in a few spoonfulls of a non disolving hard media like reqular walnut shell media to supply some mechanical scrubing action.

By containg such experimental mixes in a baggie you won't need or waste alot of ingredients filling the whole tank.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
uh - sell the pink ones to them funny boys Eeker shocker Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe me,

The tank is just big enough for my needs. For now, I will just tumble the pistol cases in walnut first, then in corncob with some polish.

I will mix the nickel plated rifle cases in with pure brass cases, and save the pink ones for whomever wants them.

Citranox works extremely well for cleaning cases, so I will stick with that for the present.

I do not have problems reloading once fired nickel plated cases. The main thing is to make sure they are absolutely clean, and slightly lubed, even though I use carbide dies.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wash the nickel plated one in hot water and dawn dish soap. They well come out plenty clean.

Posts: 19400 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John ; Dam lad never use an acid based cleaner to do Nickel or plated nickle .

http://www.miltex.com/prodinfo/productcare.aspx

3-720 MILTEX Surgical Instrument Cleaner, 8 oz. (0.24 liter) bottles (case of 12). Contents of one 8 oz. bottle makes 32 gallons of solution. Neutral pH and phosphate-free liquid concentrate formula for manual and ultrasonic cleaning or soaking of surgical/dental instruments, accessories and glassware. Biodegradable and rinses free.

There are far better choices of cleaning products available . tu2

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is common for medical device manufacturers to wash their products before packaging with Alcon Liquinox. It has to be safe if it is going into the human body.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My nickel-plated brass got kind of rosy when shaken, rattled and rolled, too. I don't think it really matters. The plating provides nothing to the strength of the case...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote