Find
Notify
Tools

RN or SP Hornady for the .375?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I'm going to order some Noslers and some Hornadys for my new .375.

I would generally choose spire points over round nose bullets, but Hornady makes both types in both 300 and 270 grains.

Any reason to choose the round nose over the spitzer for the .375?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse,

I went through the same decisions myself and finished up choosing the Hornady 300 gr RN. I just looked at the distance and uses I have for my .375 and figured the difference in trajectory b/w RN's and S/P's was not worth worrying about at the ranges a .375 gets used at. I also belive that RN's perform really well on game. If your shooting out to 300 yards I feel RN's will serve you well.

Just to add Mike 375 has had some suprising reults between SP's and RN's in "at range tests" which makes him belive that that to the average hunter ballistic Coefiicccient may not be that much of a consideration. For a target shooter or a real long range hunter may be BC has some advantages.

Also RN's look [Cool]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the round noses do look cool..Like big "thumpers!"

I was thinking more on the lines of the SP because I also intend to use Partitions, and I could probably get a load that worked for both of them.

Of course, the Hornadys are less than half the price, so I'd shoot more of them in practice...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote