New
Find
Notify
Tools

.40 cal 135 gr bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have a good range load using a 135 gr bullet in .40? I have been using 180 gr cast SWC in my 229, but looking at the jacketed 135 gr and 150 gr bullets. Thanks

Posts: 188 | Location: Gillette, WY 82717 | Registered: 30 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 40 caliber 135 gr Nosler bullet is ferocious in the 40 S&W.

For business loads I go with new brass, Winchester WSF powder (max depending on the gun and OAL), and Winchester Small Rifle primers.

For standard length ammo to be fired in high quality but non-compensated guns (like the SIG 229) that are not based on 1911s, I use a max of 8.5 grains which gives a velocity of about 1300 fps. BEWARE ... This is a very stout load!!!!

For 1911 based comp guns where I can load them out near the length of 10 mm, I have gone as high as 9.1 gr of WSF. Makes almost 1500 fps in a 4 1/2" (compensated) barrel. No need to go this fast in a pistol.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in hearing some too, I as well have loaded for 180gr and think I might want to try something a little lighter

one of us
posted Hide Post
"ferocious" ?? How ? I've got some Corbon 140 gr DPX [all copper Barnes bullet] but haven't shot anything with it yet .

One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
I don't even load any handgun loads anymore,but I have loaded 40's in the past.I used Win brass and SP primers,Nosler 135's and 9.3gr Power Pistol.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mete,

During the 2001 hunting season I had been retired and was able to get into the field again after many years of just being too busy (silly me!). After putting a couple of deer into the freezer I looked through the safe to find a handgun to hunt with. Found the 41 Mag M57 S&W I once had hunted with, but could not find the rings for the scope. The only other pistol I could find that is legal for hunting in the state was a single column, 1911 based 40 S&W comp gun (that was built when IPSC was considering a 40 caliber minimum floor for major).

It had a holosight mounted on it.

So I popped some 135s (had chrono'd at about 1350 fps) into a couple of magazines, sighted it in, and went hunting.

Literally that afternoon I spied a doe at 60 yards (by laser) and got a good steady hold. She was a little nervous. I waited for a good side shot. Just as I pulled the trigger she turned toward me. The bullet entered the chest frontally ... just to the inside of the left shoulder. She did a front summersault and was dead when she hit the ground. Never had one die more quickly!

I fully expected to have a terrible mess to clean up when I field dressed her. BUT ... the bullet had detonated after going through the front wall of the chest. Everthing north of the diaphragm was mush. But the diaphragm wasn't penetrated.

It looked like an explosaive charge had gone off in the upper chest. The damage was complete and total. Just amazing. I simply can't imagine pointing a weapon loaded with such a thing at a person.

Believe me, the experience made me a much more careful handgun handler.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mstarling, thanks for that info. That seems [1350] a bit warm . The Corbon DPX is 1200 with the 140 gr. I've used a 40 since they came out but no longer reload. A very nice cartridge !... BTW they have found that bullet setback from chambering the same round a number of times will set back the bullet .For the 40 a setback of .10" will DOUBLE the pressure from 35,00 to 70,000 psi !!! That and some guns that don't have full chamber support ,and trying to hot load it , are the causes for most KABOOMs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogdon lists, and i have loaded 12 grs of Longshot with the Sierra 135 which makes 1480 fps in a 4 inch bbl at safe pressure but beats the heck out of the pistol. Turns out that 10 grs makes over 1300 at mild pressure and is quite manageable.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mete,

The load listed for the comp gun and used on the deer is actually a lighter load for that gun ... It is fitted with a Nowlin fully supported barrel and the ammo is loaded long to nearly the length of 10 mm and factory crimped. It is a racegun built like a bank vault.

The hot load chrono'd at about 1500 and showed no pressure sign in that pistol. I would NOT shoot such a load in anything less than the strongest custom comp gun! (A lot like the old 175 [180 really] pf major SUPER in that regard.)

The 1300 fps load has worked for me in CZ 75s and in SIG 229s without battering the weapon. HOWEVER ... such loads must be worked up to using good reloading practices in modern weapons with fully supported chambers using high quality brass.

Mike

--------------

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've used Oregon Trail Lazer Cast's 155 grain with a healthy dose of Power Pistol out of two Sig's, a 226 and a Sig Pro with good results. Velocities were in the 1325-1375 fps range and took down a small two point Idaho Mulie buck at around 60-65 yards.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with the nosler 135's i've been using 11.5 gr of bluedot in the 40 S&W and 13 gr of AA7 in the 10mm auto

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote