THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference in Magnum primers for slow powders?
 Login/Join

posted
Good morning. I haven't reloaded for a good 10 years and have read as much as possible looking for updates, as many things like powder choices have changed.

I see in large capacity guns like my 300 wby/ 7 rem mag most people suiggest Federal 215M primers to lite 7828/ H1000, Retumbo, but I haven't found any locally, but I do have a good quantity of WW Magnum primers made before they changed to selling std and magnum primers as different beats, ie ALL ww rifle primers were labeled Magnum. These are probably 10-15 yrs old.

Should I be ok using these WW primers, or should I look for the Federal magnums?

Thank you
Allen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the possible exception of your Weatherby, you should be o.k. if you're developing new loads. Try the W-W's, I would.
F215's are great primers and were developed specifically for Weatherby cartridges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your W-W primers will do just fine (no matter whose brand name is adjuncted to the caliber).

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those ww120 primers are plenty powerful, used many thousands to light off 90-100 grain charges of ball powder in below zero weather, yes one was a wthrby, as well as others.

posted Hide Post
Thank you very much.

This will save me quite a chunk... so I can buy some 200 gn Noslers if the 180's don't shoot well enough.

Thank you
Allen