THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    125 gr. Sierra's for my 30-06, they are so....small!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

125 gr. Sierra's for my 30-06, they are so....small!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Decided to buy a box of 125 gr bullets for plinking with my Sedgley. Opened the box and was surprised - they are pretty short. Not sure how well they'll seat. Any one with experience loading these bullets would, your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JDG

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have loaded 100 grain Speer Plinkers in my -06....they are short also

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load them up about 2700 fps and they kill deer like the hammer of Thor. Very accurate also, a Sierra tech rep told me years ago they were made on the same jacket as the 168MK.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use to shoot deer with them with a max load of 4064. Long before cronys.

Killed deer like crazy lungs and heart would be mush. Also very accurate.

Wouldn't want to take a hard angle shot with them but side to side oh yea.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are no different than many of the stubby bullets that are the rage these days.
Spin your case as you raise it to seat the bullet. This will help straighten the bullet so it does not snag on the crimp shoulder of your die. The stubbies work better in a press that has a vertical rather than tilted ram.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load the 125 Sierra and 125 B-tips for quite a few 30-06s. I started this back when the b-tips still came in packs of 100 for shooting pigs and did they kill pigs! I switched to Sierras when Nosler went to half the bullets, but not half the price and found that the pro hunters held together better and cut down on the rose wound around the hole and often gave complete penetration. I worked up a load for my friends Savage 06 and he took them to deer camp and the camp was so impressed with the quick kills and lack of tracking needed they started putting in orders and now all 7 that shoot the 06 in his camp use the 125s. Now 15 years and scores of deer later not a failure has been reported. It is also rumored that they perform very well on antelope, black bears, and very large canines.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:
I load the 125 Sierra and 125 B-tips for quite a few 30-06s. I started this back when the b-tips still came in packs of 100 for shooting pigs and did they kill pigs! I switched to Sierras when Nosler went to half the bullets, but not half the price and found that the pro hunters held together better and cut down on the rose wound around the hole and often gave complete penetration. I worked up a load for my friends Savage 06 and he took them to deer camp and the camp was so impressed with the quick kills and lack of tracking needed they started putting in orders and now all 7 that shoot the 06 in his camp use the 125s. Now 15 years and scores of deer later not a failure has been reported. It is also rumored that they perform very well on antelope, black bears, and very large canines.

Know the recipe for the loads?

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a few the but the most used is 62.0 grains of H414 lit with a federal 215 primer. You can use standard primers, but they hunt up in the northern third of MN and below zero temps are not uncommon at some point during the season. All my loads are based on W-W cases and OACL is 3.155"

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Great for lopers!

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 125s have worked well for me as a reduced recoil/practice load with 39g of RL7. In my rifle that grouped well, and also was very close to the same POI as my heavy hunting loads....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote