New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: WSSMs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Browning A-Bolt Classic Hunter in .243WSSM. Up until just this past August I was a handgun only hunter have been since 1989. It was the .243WSSM that caused me to purchase a long gun in a deer caliber. I also have a Christmas gift to me from me. I have a Winchester M70 Classic CUS in .25WSSM. It will stay in the box until Christmas morning and I will be suitably surprised when I open it.
I have just this past Tuesday killed my first deer with the .243WSSM. I used the Barnes 85g TSX. I�m at work right now and I won�t quote loads from memory but I used a load from the list supplied with my Lee dies. Prior to my killing my first deer my 16 year old granddaughter used it to kill two deer. She has fallen in love with my A-Bolt and has suggested more than once that I really should let her have that neat little rifle. Up until the .243Wssm showed up at my house she had only hunted with handguns since I started her at 4. Killed deer every year since she was 7 with a S/W 657 .41RemMag. I�ll use the loading guide in the Lee .25WSSM dies to load the Barnes 100g TSX also. I think the .243WSSM is just great and I�m sure the .25WSSM will be also.

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the WSSMs & thinking about buying. Do they shoot & where might I find reloading info for these guys. Looking at all 3 but leaning 243 or 223.
Info appreciated.

TNKS
Stumped

Posts: 7 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stumped,

Try this URL: http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=223%20WSSM&Source=Winchester&Type=rifle

This location is for the .223 WSSM. They offer 3 different loads.

Good Luck,

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the folks at Winchester will not like this but my advice on any of the new WSSM rifles is DONT!!

I think Winchester has a fine line of cartridges in the 270, 7mm, and 300 WSM, but the WSSM line is just too much of a good thing. (At least the 223 WSSM is.)

I bought a new Model 70 in 223 WSSM and the accuracy was pretty darned sorry. The velocity was simply amazing, but the accuracy was poor and very inconsistant. In desperation, I finally sold it to a fellow who said "I can make it shoot". Well, he could not make it shoot, either.

He sent it back to Winchester and they sent him a new gun. He kept it all of two weeks and sent it back. They sent him yet another rifle. It was hardly any better. He has since just rebarreled it with a custom barrel. He made it into the 243 WSSM and so far it seems pretty good. Theory is that the chrome lining is the problem with the Winchester barrels, but I do not know.

I recently made a trip to Oregon to visit family. Along the way I visited several good gun stores. At every one of them when the 223 WSSM rifles were brought up they had some very sad tales to tell. Both Winchesters and Browings had to be sent back and the replacements were sorry as well.

Again, I have shot all three of the WSM cartridges in Winchester Model 70's and all shot well. The 300 WSM I just worked up loads for shot well, indeed. But the WSSM line looks like it is going to be a black eye for Winchester.

If you decide to give the 223 WSSM a try, there is a wealth of loading data on the Hodgdon web site for free. There has also been some good loading data presented in Rifle magazine.

Good luck, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote