Tools

Re: H4198 vs. IMR4198
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of morton3
posted
Kory,

Some still say yes & some still say no.

The safest way to treat powders whilst reloading, is to administer them with the aid of their respective factory data recommendations.

ADI is the abbreviation for Australian Defence Industries.

ADI manufacture large amounts of powders for the Australian armed forces, they also sell powders to the public & other manufacturers/Companies.

Other companies such as Hodgdon import & rename the ADI powders to their own particular market name.

I have a handloaders guide here dated November 2000, published by ADI.

There is a section in the back of the manual showing approximate powder equivalents.

The Australian ADI name for the powder is AR2207 it is cross referenced as being equivalent in burn rate & ideal for use in the very fine .222 Rem.

AR2207 - IMR4198 - W680 - H4198 - Tu2000 - N200 - Reloader7

Somebody else suggested emailing Hodgdon, I think that is a fine idea, probably the best suggested yet.

www.hodgdon.com

Best of luck & have fun.

Posts: 124 | Location: Newcastle Australia | Registered: 23 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kory,

If i had to load a 17 Rem, the Hodgdon version would be my choice to get down that skinny neck any day. I prefer IMRs version, but I don't load a 17. If I did, It would be Hodgdon all the way!

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Picked up a pound of H4198 just to be safe. I'm loading 17 Mach IV and I'm glad I got the H4198 -- goes down the 17 cal cartridge neck easier!

What the heck is cannister powder anyways?

Regards,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote