THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help for 6.5-284 reloading dies, etc.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I posted this on another site for 1,000 yard shooting but I'm not getting much help, so I thought I'd add it here.

I'm building a a 6.5-284 on a trued MRC left handed short action with a SS 27" Krieger #5 bull sporter barrel and an Accurate Innovations stock.

The guns primary purpose will be to kill a ground squirrel at 1,000 yards. It will occasionally be used for an antelope or two.

Ok, here's the hard part:
My gunsmith's 6.5/284 reamer is built to cut a .298" neck.

My questions are:
Is .298 acceptable? I want to do a light cut on the neck of Lapua brass to check them even without making tissue thin neck walls.

Is a Forster Bench Rest body die good enough for this with a Forster Micrometer seating die?

Or, should I go all out with a Redding bushing sizer and the Forster micrometer seating die?

What bushings size should I order for a set of Redding dies? (I think .292 - .294 figuring at 0.294" it will allow for .002 release plus .002 spring back)

I haven't decided on a particular bullet yet and will experiment to find the best one. (I'm leaning to the 139-142 weight) But, what bullet in the dummy case should I give him to throat it to? (The MRC short action has a 3.2" mag box so I can go fairly long)

Any other info would be appreciated.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold
I've got a 6.5-284 with a .298 neck and it shoots just fine. I specifically went with that neck because I didn't want to get into neck turning, but if you choose to just touch up the necks the .298 should be fine.

I use the Forster Bench Rest FL die set and find it to produce very consistent ammo. Can't help you with the bushing question.

My rifle is built on a Rem. 700 long action but I didn't have it throated for any specific bullet, I shoot 140 SMKs and 140 Hornady SSTs and the OAL (tip to base) for both is under 3.1 when seated .007 off the lands.

I haven't shot it past 700 yds yet, but at 550 yds it will shoot 2"-3" groups with the SMKs if I'm having a good day and the weather is right. Now if I could just get it to AVERAGE 2"-3" at 550 I'd really be happy. I suspect that's an operator problem though.

Hope some of this helps
Chris

Posts: 44 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris, These must be a really hard questions or nobody shoots this round. Your's is the most informative answer that I've received of three websites that I put it on.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank
I'm usually asking the questions, it's kinda nice to be able to answer one for a change Smiler.

You could do a search at Longrangehunting.com,there are guys over there taking the 6.5-284 out to 1200 yards and further

Posts: 44 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Fjold, Boy are you in for a good time! This is one of the greatest cartridges for your intended purpose. Mine is a 28" Hart built on the Rem 700 short ction, HS stock, and a Leupold 8.5 x 25 LRT. P-dogs at 1247 yards is my best to date. Accuracy and cartridge effiency is best with the 140 - 142 weights. I have used Berger, Hornady and Sierra's. Bergers were best at extreme distances, followed by Sierra, then Hornady. I used the Redding dies, and mine is a tight neck (.294) so I turn all cases, but would next time re barrel to a .298 and clean up only. I like the Redding bushing dies for the control aspect, but would not find them absolutely necessary. The powders which work best are R22 and 4831 SC or IMR 4831, but your rifle will tell you which, it is amazing to see this cartridge work at distances which approach a mile. To directly answer your question re: dies... I would go with the best and not leave anything to chance. Yes to bushing and match grade seater. Run out matters at the long ranges.

Just a quick question if I may... Where did you video my sister?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I found the Redding bushing die sets online so I'll order those. If I ever get the barrel and stock delivered I'll be good to go.

I ordered the Krieger on Apr 22nd and the stock on May 4th and I'm still waiting for both.

308: Your "sister" has a certain quality about her that I find almost hypnotic.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold

How in the hell can you find that hypnotic? I get whipflash trying to follow those, I mean her.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Glad that Bouncing Bettie Boo! has been good to you, so many enjoy her ways

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote