New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun vs Rifle Cartridge Reloading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm getting ready to start loading for a 44 mag Redhawk. I've loaded somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 rounds of rifle ammo for 4 different rifles, but have never loaded for my handguns. Any tips, tricks, or advice peculiar to handgun loading would be appreciated. (Dies,type of crimp ....etc.)
Thanks
Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to load with jacketed bullets , seat them to the proper depth first then crimp them in a seperate step . I have found I like the results better this way than seating and crimping in the same step.

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim

That's exactly the kind of info I need to hear. I don't see any reason to re-invent the wheel when we got so many wheelmakers hanging around here.

Elmo

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The big difference btwn. rifle vs pistol, is you can get those great tungsten carbide dies for pistol rounds & avoid case lubing. If you are shooting a lot of pistol ammo you may want to invest ina progressive loader like those from Dillon Precision.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would advise buying carbide pistol dies; they eliminate the need to lubricate cases. I have had good luck with Lee carbide dies. I also like the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die; it will assure your reloaded ammo will chamber. If you plan to use cast (lead) bullets, I recommend the Lyman 'M' die for case mouth expansion; it allows bullets to be seated straight in the case. If you plan to do any quantity of handgun reloading you will probably want to invest in a progressive press before too long. Happy Trails.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I used the redding profile crimp die and really like it for the .44 and other "magnum" rounds which require a heavy crimp. It eliminates the bulge that can sometimes happen behind the crimp.

Like others have said seat & crimp in two operations. And get carbide dies.

-M

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info, guys
How often are you guys trimming your 44 mag brass, and how many times can you load it before you have to discard it. I'd like to buy all my brass from the same lot and knowing typical life span would help me to figure out how much to buy.

Thanks again
Elmo