New
Find
Notify
Tools

Triple X report
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well finally got some Barnes triple X. 150gr for my 308Win, and 180gr for my 300RUM. I turned my back on Barnes a few years ago, but I like these new bullets. They might be back in my good graces

300 RUM 215M primer, RL25, 85gr to 90gr, 3.605" COL
Well, they was ok in this gun.
88gr seemed to give the best accuracy with 1.1" groups at 100 yards. I figured now I can play with seating depth to improve. This is not outstanding for this gun. Usually shoots 200gr matchkings less than 1" at 200 yards. One thing I can say about these bullets, they are very concentric. I had no problems getting less than .0015" runout. Seated very nice. Also copper fouling was 10 times better with these than X bullets. Took two runs of wipeout and all copper was gone. Still more than with Sierra bullets. But thats to be expected.

308 Win Medallion, 210 Primer, IMR4064 42-47gr, 2.785" COL
Wow, not bad, not bad at all in this gun. .7" groups at 100 yards with 45gr IMR4064. Might make a great little heavy whitetail or mule load. Shoot I would use this load on about anything from whitetail to moose. Accuracy was bad for 46 and 47gr but they was compressed, and I am not crazy about compressed loads. Especially since it was so cold that day. Might be over pressure in the fall.

Now it was 10 degrees that day, so I might have to adjust for warmer weather.

But far as I can see these bullets are all they say are. Not near as finicky as the X bullets, doesn't copper foul as bad, and you can go up a tad more on the load.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

88gr seemed to give the best accuracy with 1.1" groups at 100 yards. I figured now I can play with seating depth to improve. This is not outstanding for this gun. Usually shoots 200gr matchkings less than 1" at 200 yards.

Yes, but now you can actually say that you're using a true hunting bullet that will never let you down...not a paper puncher! Good job!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What POP said, the accuracy of the Sierra is great, but it hardly matters in the field. What counts there is bullet performance, not minute groups (as much as we all strive to obtain them). 1.1" groups is plenty good to kill anything as far away as you should care to shoot at.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure it matters. This is a reloading page, not just a hunting page. I rarely take this gun hunting. Usually take my 308Win, 30-06, or 270win. This gun is more of a toy. Just figured it would be nice to have two or so bullet combos just incase I get the want to take it. I got a nice load for Nosler Partitions, Matchkings, Accubonds, now working on Barnes. Figured that would cover the whole spectrum of needs. I was just trying to post some results for people who might be interested in a newer bullet.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Big Country...

When you mention bullets like TSX the first thing that comes to one's mind is hunting. If you can get 100 Sierra MK's for the same price (or actually less than a box of TSX's) then why bother shooting paper with TSX'x or XLC's or Accubonds? Try the Nosler Match or the Hornady Match and save your money.
Then if you ever decide to use this gun for hunting then load a capable hunting bullet (like the load you already worked up with the Barnes) and call it a day!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey bigcountry, Sounds like they did right well for you. I do appreciate your report as I'm always interested in hearing how specific Bullets perform. Haven't heard near as much on the "XXX" as I'd expected to hear by now.

Don't see how you managed to get anywhere close to "down-range" let alone on the Target at 10deg! Makes me cold just thinking about it.

Also agree that Fine Tuning the Seating Depth should have the potential to get you under 1" easily. BUT, I'd bet going out there in some half way decent temps might cut it a bit too.

Huuummm, maybe a bit of "Liquid Corn" might warm me up a bit.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In other words, what I am saying POP, is I was trying to post my results to help people that are interested TSX. Not asking questions.. I got the hunting situation under control.

You know Hot Core, I just picked up some liquid Corn from my hardy county Ky. Works like a champ

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Understand... That is cool of you!