New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder thrower?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For use to reload several different rifle calibers using H4350, rl 19,and 20 varget and h4895, what would be the best buy on a powder thrower? thanks, capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The "Quick Measure" is the best I`ve seen for working with extruded powders. It`s a bit pricey but does exactly as it is advertized as doing. For Ball powder most any measure does fairly well.
http://www.quick-measure.com/

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
The "Quick Measure" is the best I`ve seen for working with extruded powders. It`s a bit pricey

Went to the sight but didn't find a suggested Retail price. Can you help Joe? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email or call them...

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I use a RCBS Uni-Flow and it cuts extruded powders, but I weigh every charge on a scale too, so it shouldn't matter.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went to the sight but didn't find a suggested Retail price. Can you help Joe?

Bartsche, It looks like $150.- http://www.quick-measure.com/qm.htm -I bought mine 2-3 yr ago for $140. They aren`t cheap but, with a bit of practice they work very well.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Redding powder measures, and Hornady's clones of them, are very good.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
beerThanks, Joe.After a little introspection I desided that I could better use the $150.00 although it would be nice to have one.I think I'll put it on "well maybe I really should have it list."

In retrospect I find that when I load the vast majority of the time I go to the $15.00 Lee. With larger quanties I use the RCBS. For more accurate work the Lyman 1200 and once in a while I still use my 52 year old worn out Redding. If it is one or two test loads the Lee dippers and balance are used. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that measure looks interesting, bt I agree it ain't going to make the top ten of things on my gun stuff wish list.

If I were looking to blow $150 on a powder measure I'd probably spend a little more and get one of the automatic powder dispensers
that operates as a "power trickler" in conjunction with a scale.

I already have my original Ideal #55 (lyman) powder measure (that Im not actually using at the moment),
an RCBS Uniflow (on the bench and currently filled with IMR4350) and a Lyman Accumeasure.

the accumeasure is or to be more precise "was", Lyman's answer to the RCBS "Little Dandy" powder measure, but I think the Lyman is much better made, so much better that they couldn't produce it competetively with the RCBS Little Dandy.

Yes the Uniflow cuts powder granules but I also weigh 100% of my rifle cartridge powder charges
(With a manual powder trickler even...)

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote