New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL 22 in the 270 win.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody try RL-22 in the 270 winchester ? Right now I am only working with 130 grain loads at this time...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot RL22 in both my 270's, mainly 140gr swift Aframe's. RL19, 22, 4350 all shoot good 130gr/140gr whatever.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
yes! It's one of the best powders, in my opinion, for the .270. You should find good results with 4350's, 4831's (better), and Re 19-22. One thing to consider, use a magnum primer with Re22 starting at minimum loads and work up...prudent.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
140 gr Hornady BT's 58 gr RL22 win std caps....3075 fps and .248" at 100 yds...Ruger #1

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tj06--yep R22 is the powder I use for my 270's adn I am a big time fan of both.

I use a BR2 primer but to each his own.

I used to use H4831 and IMR 4350, but I've found wonderful accuracy with R22 and top speeds that cannot be matched with other powders.

IMO you're on the right track.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do my shooting in temps ranging from zero to 95 deg - is RL 22 temp sensistive enough to pose a problem in these kind of conditions?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting 130's out of a 270 with 58 grs of RL 22 and it's as accurate as any other load. I am using CCI BR2 primers also.

As to temperature sensitivity. I shot RL 22 for about a year thru the winter and summer in a 7mm WSM. Temperatures may have ranged from 10F to as hot as 90F or more. The summer load required one grain or so less to reach the maximum load.

I am rather suspicious of so called temperature insensitive powders as marketing gimicks until I see real data. I have used IMR powders for a half century with no significant concerns. I read that the RL powders are more sensitive and maybe they are but where is the data?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
good question on the data. I can only tell you this. I think that the 'data' is really just a lump sum of similar experiences.

I love Re 19, 22, and 25, real accurate powders. But, if I work up a load in the spring or summer, I never have a pressure problem in the winter, but a hot load in the winter can make the bolt quite sticky come warm weather. I, too, use plenty of IMR powder as well as Hodgdon, Accurate, and Vihta Vouri.

I know from speaking with the folks at Alliant that they have had either a recall or something like that on powders because I got 5 pounds for free (Re22).

Nevertheless, Reloader powder is in my top 3 favorites.

In terms of the Hodgdon Extreme line, I must admit, I've never personally experienced a pressure problem from warm to cold with hotter charges.

Hope this is somewhat informative.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It's one of the best powders, in my opinion, for the .270. You should find good results with 4350's, 4831's (better), and Re 19-22. One thing to consider, use a magnum primer with Re22 starting at minimum loads and work up...prudent.

I agree with the opinion that RL22 is one of the best powders for the .270 -- In fact, it may be the best of all.

I do not agree with the advice to use a magnum primer. I use regular Winchester WLR primers with this RL22 - .270 combination and never have any ignition problem.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've never had an ignition problem either using regular large rifle primers. I just tried the magnum primers based on some advice from a long time reloader in Tucson.

I found that the magnum primer with Re22 and 150 bullets gave me more consistency and I was able to work up a load easier/faster. Also, with less powder, I still maintained excellent velocity. Just something else to try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be trying the RL-22 this weekend. All my brass is primed with Federal match primers so i will not use magnums this time...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
But, WLR's are a pretty hot "standard" primer, too.. FWIW, I've also used the WLR's with R22 (and everything else) in my 270's with no problems.

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote