Notify
Tools

405 Winchester loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
Have any that you can share??

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I saw that Dr. Charles was not overly helpful, at least in what he posted to the TC-L. Have you read the Pet Loads article on the .405 Winchester? What exactly are you looking for in the way of loads? Are you just "trolling"? If I knew what you know then I'd know what you want to know, i.e. what you don't know already? Does that make sense? [Roll Eyes]

There have been a lot of articles of late but in comparing these and loads in older books I don't see a lot of variety. It seems that just about everyone approached it with the idea that loading the various 300 gr. bullets at the factory velocity level was the goal.

As you know, this cartridge in BP guise is a .40-72 Winchester or .40-70 Sharps Straight.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobie:
Have you read the Pet Loads article on the .405 Winchester?

If you mean the article in Shooting Times? No, i havent dug through the back issues yet.

quote:
What exactly are you looking for in the way of loads? Are you just "trolling"? If I knew what you know then I'd know what you want to know, i.e. what you don't know already? Does that make sense? [Roll Eyes]

Aint "trollin", barrel is ordered. I am mostly just a shooter but do intend on doing some huntin with it. Hunting will be limited to deer and varmints. I am looking for cast and jacketed bullet loads for 170 to 300 grain. Really would like some data using AA2015.

quote:
There have been a lot of articles of late but in comparing these and loads in older books I don't see a lot of variety. It seems that just about everyone approached it with the idea that loading the various 300 gr. bullets at the factory velocity level was the goal.

As you know, this cartridge in BP guise is a .40-72 Winchester or .40-70 Sharps Straight.

Nope, didnt know that. Dont know much history on this cartridge. I am a HUGE 41 caliber fan and this will go well with my Contender barrels in 41mag and 414 Super Mag. The barrel that i ordered does have a .410 bore so i am ok for shootin the pistol bullets.

Appreciate ANY info......THANKS!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Hobie?

EDIT: Dies, brass, bullets, etc... ordered today! [Big Grin] Got the last 50 pieces of hornady from Midsouth! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ 04-22-2003, 08:22: Message edited by: MSSmagnum ]

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Mike,

"Ah, I see," said the blind man! [Wink] Ok, I'll be on the look out.

The article I'm talking about is by Ken Waters in Pet Loads. Originally published in Handloader magazine in the March 1982 issue.

His "best all-around load" was with the 300 gr. Kynoch SP and 53 gr. RE-7 @ 2215 fps. His most accurate load was with the same bullet and 58 gr. H-4895 @ 2129 fps. (These are both out of 24" barrels in an M1895 Winchester) Of course, there are no AA powders listed.

With the Lyman 412263, 316 gr., he went up to 43 gr. IMR-3031 @ 1902 fps. But, his most accurate CB load was with the 414 gr. Saeco 580 and 35 gr. IMR-3031 @ 1331 fps.

AS to light, i.e. pistol bullet, loads he tried all available at the time. For him, the most accurate was the Remington 210 gr. JSP over 55 gr. RE-7 for 2459 fps. His second best for accuracy was the 210 gr. Hornady JHP (probably not available now, all we've got here is the XTP) with 49 gr. H-4198 @ 2315 fps.

Now, he had to form most of his brass and wasn't happy with the quality. You don't have that problem!

Actually, if you don't own Pet Loads, you should, with the most current edition there is only one supplement. I doubt there will be more. Mr. Waters is getting on in age and apparently not writing as much as he once did and apparently there just isn't enough new material to justify a rush to a new edition. I load a lot of different cartridges and have helped a lot of friends find their way with a lot of other, different, cartridges and this book has been invaluable. This and a couple of manuals from your favorite bullet makers PLUS the Hogdon manual and you are good to hook.

I'm still following your quest here and at the TC-L because I'm interested in this cartridge, too. Just what I "need", another barrel. [Roll Eyes]

BTW, I think that Handloader or Rifle had an article by Scovill (not sure if it was Scovill, could have been Seyfried) and there have been some other articles as well. Don't think that they were all that good as I can't remember them! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I am getting the info from Ken Waters book. I received the dies, 300 grain bullets today and expect the brass and barrel to arrive by next week. I will post results on my new yahoo group & on the single shot pistols forum.

Specialty Pistols group