Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading 458 lott
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen:
Can I reload the 458 Lott with 458 Win. dies?

Thank you
Paul K.

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 757 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah you can I think, but why bother just order a set of Hornady lott dies from Grafs there 23 odd dollars I think.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I'd STRONGLY suggest that you buy the Redding die set. Several of us have had problems with the Hornady dies. The set I had were too short and I might as well have been using 458 Win dies.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sooner or later you will have to full length resize, so you may as well order a set of 458 Lott dies now...RCBS or Redding are my favorite.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I did that with my first 458 lott, and then bought the Hornady dies for my second one. Unfortunately the neck expanding die for the Hornady dies is a universal 45 caliber one, and useless for the 458 Lott. Supposedly they will replace it, but I don't know why they didn't put the right one in the firstplace. I'd definately opt for the Redding dies, and might get a set in the future.

To use 458 win mag dies, you use a .30" spacer to set the fl sizer off the bottom of the ram. You wont' be sizing the base of the case, which could be a problem with a tight chamber. I never had any problems with my first Lott, but it had a generously cut chamber.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do Grafs sell the redding lott dies and at what price........................I must admit I have had dramas with the case beller as well.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the above problems with both the sizer and the seating die. Just bought a set of RCBS dies... work like a charm. If you want a set of the Hornady dies you can have them! Just pay for the shipping and they're yours.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:
Thank you for the imformation.

Paul K.

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 757 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i read on a review that the RCBS dies are too short. Are Redding the best dies to purchase if you want to load the .458 Lott?

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the redding 458 lott dies, but Redding dies are my die of choice in other calibers and I'd go with redding dies if I were to get another 458 lott.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Does Grafs sell the Redding Lott dies, and at what price?........................I must admit, I have had dramas with the case beller as well.

www.grafs.com