Find
Notify
Tools

Question on using Imperial Dry Neck Lube
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
I ordered some Imperial Dry neck Lube to be used with the Wilson Bench-rest die set I also ordered. I have not used any of this type of lube and was curious as what is the best way to apply it.

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use it on the inside of the neck when sizing, etc. in stead of mica. I also use the Imperrial wax on the outside of the case. best thing since sliced bread.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cossack:
I use it on the inside of the neck when sizing, etc. in stead of mica. I also use the Imperrial wax on the outside of the case. best thing since sliced bread.

Thanks but how do you apply it?

Swede

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use it on necksizing, but I just stick the neck of the case straight down into it and tap it on something hard when I pull it back out. I have a setup where the lube sits in a depression or trough in a loading block and I just tap the case on the edge of the trough to get any excess off. After I size, I use a nylon brush on the inside of the neck for better bullet contact.

Just remember, it doesn't take much at all for necks. I don't even cover all the way to the shoulder and have never had an issue.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
I use mica mixed with #9 shot in a small sealable container. Using larrys method of just dipping the neck gives me a light coating. Should work for the Imp.
My steps:
Brush inside neck.
Dip in dry lube and tap.
Swab neck on bore swab.
Size and clean. Wipe off or tumble a short time.
I have the brush and bore swab mounted on a block of wood and also on my RCBS Case Mate.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys: The Wilson dies are bushing dies I will only be sizing the outside of the case neck. If I dip the case neck in the Dry Neck Lube will it still be necessary to brush the inside of the case neck to get a good bullet hold. The shells will be shot in a XR-100 single shot .223

Thanks for the link for the case neck lubricator. I found out after I had placed the order that I should have bought one of them. Midway is a little to high on there shipping just for one item I will have to wait to place another order. Maybe I can find it locally.

Thanks again for your help.

Swede

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If you`re useing a bushing die there is no need to use the dry lube, it`s intended to lube the inside of the mouth not the outside. I`d run a dab of your regular lube on the outer neck every couple cases and leave it at that.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:
Thanks guys: The Wilson dies are bushing dies I will only be sizing the outside of the case neck. If I dip the case neck in the Dry Neck Lube will it still be necessary to brush the inside of the case neck to get a good bullet hold. The shells will be shot in a XR-100 single shot .223

Thanks for the link for the case neck lubricator. I found out after I had placed the order that I should have bought one of them. Midway is a little to high on there shipping just for one item I will have to wait to place another order. Maybe I can find it locally.

Thanks again for your help.

Dry brush the inside of the case neck to get the crud out. Inside lube is not needed if you are not using the expander button.

If you want to use the dry lube on the outside of the neck only. You can still do this with the bore swab treated with dry lube and mounted to a block of wood. Twirl the outer neck case against the swab.

Use a scrap piece of 2X4 wood and drill under size holes to mount caliber size brushes and swabs on. They will twist in with resistance. This setup will speed up your case prep for inside neck work.

Getting serious about the XR aren't we. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag,

You should be able to find a shallow tray for the dry lube. Mount a caliber specific nylon brush to the bottom and you're in business. The Midwayusa product is just an example of what is needed to get the lube inside the case neck and not get the excess all over creation.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede,

I've been using the Wilson bushing dies to load for my 22-250 for quite a while now, so I'll share some of my experiences. In my opinion, lube of any sort is unnecessary. Obviously with a bushing die, the inside of the neck is never touched, so no need there. Also, the die never touches the shoulder or body so no need there as well.

What I have found is that for optimum results, the ouside of the neck must have all powder residue removed. To do this, I tumble my cases after firing. But then I caution you to clean those cases because the dust from the cleaning media will build up in your sizing die. Or rather than tumbling, you could just hand clean each neck with steel wool or a scrub pad. I've used both and they both work ok, but are kind of slow.

The only time you'll need lube is when you've fired these cases several times and they start to get tight in your chamber. Then it's time to full length size and that's when your Imperial die wax and dry neck lube comes in handy. I apply the wax with my fingers (very sparingly) and then dip the mouth of the case down into the little tin of dry neck lube and then tap it to get the excess out. I'm pretty anal so the last step before resizing is to wipe the dry lube off the outside of the neck or it'll start to build up in my FL sizing die.

Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote