Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those that do not know, H4227 has been discontinued in favor of IMR4227. I have read that the new IMR4227 will be the 4227 made in Australia by ADI.

Has anyone bought any IMR4227 recently and if so does it say made in Australia on it?

Posts: 177 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I like IMR 4227 in my 223 loads, and H 4227s accuracy has ALWAYS sucked in anything I used it in, I just called Hodgdon....

They are claiming to be discontinuing H 4227, evidently because it didn't sell as well as IMR 4227 did....

However, since they have a good amount of business with ADI in Australia,.....

What Hodgdon is going to be doing, is cancelling the H 4227 Name....

Quit making ( who ever manufactures it for them now) IMR 4227....

And put H 4227, in containers marked IMR 4227....

So they take the better seller in name ( IMR 4227)on the container, and gives us H 4227, which is cheaper for them to purchase...

I am very happy Hodgdon has bought IMRs powders and will keep them available to us...

However this bait & switch on 4227 sucks!.. because H 4227 Accuracy always sucked!

But once again, this all makes sense to the cheap ass accountant that came up with this bright Idea.....

which is just one more reason, that in corporate America, the two professions that are the most hated are Friggin Attorneys and Friggin Accountants....

both of which cost American consumers millions of dollars each year... and run American companies into the ground...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

Wow, you obviously feel strongly about IMR4227. My experiences have been quite different than yours as I and most shooters I know prefer the Hogdgon version. My guess is that most of the IMR out there right now is still the original stuff. Buy a couple of kegs now and you will be set for a while.

Posts: 177 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I called Hodgdon after I read your post...

they made the exact same suggestion, there is tons out there right now..

So stock up now...

In 223, 22.250, 6mm Rem, 243 Win, 260 Rem, IMRs version is a lot tighter shooting for groups than Hodgdon/ADI's is...for me...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, see I do not use it in rifles to much. Most of my 4227 is burnt in single shot pistols and revolver cartridges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used H4227 but have burned a lot of the IMR version in my 45070, 30-30, 44 magnum and many 357 pistols. I think I will buy up a couple of pounds.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted Hide Post
I have used IMR4227 in my 44 for years. I have been thinking about using it in my 45-70 as I have found some loading data on it.

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both 4227's seem to be very caliber specific. Works great in the 357 max and a few others but gets very heat sensitive in larger calibers like the .44 and .45. It will jump pressure and velocity very fast if the gun gets warm. I tried it in the 45-70 and it sucks.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my 223s love IMR 4227... 18 grains with a 50 grain TNT Speer....

ONe hole shooter and exploded sage rats!

But you know IMR is the better powder, when they are going to keep the IMR name over the Hodgdon name even tho, they are selling it now under the better selling IMR 4227 name...

which goes to show, which one has a better following...