Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

case reforming ?
 Login/Join

posted
want form .257 rob. from 30-06 cases . what do i need? case trim die & f/l die? or what? thanks...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you'll have to shorted them. then it works best if you run them through an intermediate die something like a 270 first , then you will probably have to turn the necks as they will a bit on the thick side otherwise. easy forming job though

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
  • cut to a length of about 2.250.
  • ID and OD chamfer
  • FL size in an 8mm x 57 die with expander removed.
  • Fl size with 7x57 die using expander.
  • Turn total neck length so you are left with a .0115" to .0125" wall thicknes.
  • Trim to 2.240" case length.
  • FL size in .257R die.
  • Check case length and trim again if needed.

oldThe necks are turned after the 7x57 fl-sizing as the necks are longer than in the .257R configuration removing unwanted brass at what will be the shoulder neck junction.
    Another alternative is to use sizing bushings. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bengal:
    want form .257 rob. from 30-06 cases . what do i need? case trim die & f/l die? or what? thanks...

This process is ok for hard to find cases. It is not so good when new factory brass is available.
    I do about the same as bartsche.
    1. Push the shoulder back - a .308 die works ok if you are careful not to push it back too far.
    2. size with 7x57 FL SIZER OR TRIM die
    3. size .257 Trim die
    4. some where above you cut off the case
    5. size with .257 FL size die
    6. Final trim to length- I usually leave about .010 long
    7. Anneal.
    8. Take a nap

Basically this is an awful lot of work to salvage old cases.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I am a case former, cases cost me from .08 cents to .11 cents each. I form 257 Roberts. The 30/06 is a choice, the 7mm57 is another, then there is the 8mm57, I have forming dies for all.

I start with forming the case, after forming I use a hack saw to trim the case before I lower the ram, forming 100 cases from 30/06 can result in 25” ++ with a case trimmer and that will ware out your trimmer and cause anxieties, after using the man tool I use a file to finish trimming. Then finish with the full length sizer die.

When forming the 257 Roberts from the 30/06 case the shoulder of the 30/06 must be erased and formed .221 further back, meaning there is no excuse to have excessive head space after forming the 257 Roberts, I off set the length of the chamber with the length of the case.

And if a reloader had one forming die it should be the 308 Winchester form/trim die.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    And if a reloader had one forming die it should be the 308 Winchester form/trim die.

F. Guffey

The .308 is one of what I call the very useful "short fat" dies. Others are the .250 Savage and the 6.5X250 Savage trim dies. The .260 Rem and 7-08 Rem trim dies would also be very useful.
    If you are lucky you might run into a .357 Automag trim die.

The dies above are very useful for pushing shoulders back and cutting to length many different cartridges based on the .30-06 head size.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    bengal, you can purchase new brass for the .257 it would save you a ton of tedious work and time if you were to buy it look here for the brass.
    http://www.sportsmanswarehouse...100137#gridContainer

Posts: 113 | Location: WIsconsin | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by gunsdogs:
    bengal, you can purchase new brass for the .257 it would save you a ton of tedious work and time if you were to buy it

oldThis is true but you'll miss out on a whole lot of experience and fun. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of 308Sako
    posted Hide Post
    What about just necking up some 6mm Remington brass?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
    DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bartsche:
    quote:
    Originally posted by gunsdogs:
    bengal, you can purchase new brass for the .257 it would save you a ton of tedious work and time if you were to buy it

oldThis is true but you'll miss out on a whole lot of experience and fun. beer roger

Not by my definition of fun. Unless it's a case you just can't get or you just flat out don't have the money for brass but have all the other requisite tools on hand there's no good reason to do it.

Of course if it is something that you can't just buy off the shelf then go ahead. Or if you're rtired and kids are out of the house and you're bored I guess make the reloading as labor intensive and time consuming as possible Big Grin

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
    -Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Joe R. Lock
    posted Hide Post
    I form .25-06, 6.5x55, 7x57, and 8x57 from .30-06 brass with only one form die specific for the cartridge. Anneal the 06 brass first. You should be able to form .257 Roberts the same way. First, run the 06 brass through a .257 Roberts form and trim die available from Redding or RCBS. With a hack saw, saw off the brass sticking out the top of the die. With a flat file, file off what's left and remove the case from the die and press. Chamfer the case mouth. Run the brass through a .257 Roberts full length sizing die. Trim to length and chamfer the mouth again. You now should have a reloadable case (any regular load you desire) that will fire form to your chamber once fired.
    joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote