New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck the Bullet. Spilled the Powder!
 Login/Join

<PowderBurns>
posted
Stuck the bullet in the lands. Pulled the load apart in the breech and spilled powder into the works. Took the gun apart (Rem. 700) and dusted out the mechanism. Picked extruded Varget out of the bolt lug area.

Tooth brushes, tooth picks, bore lights, swabs, patches . . .

Short of liposuction, is there any easy way to clean this mess?

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Something like Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber might help.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<bowiler>
posted
you may try to use a can on compressed air. the kind they use on computer keycoards and other electronics. just a thought i have never had that problem YET.
bowiler

<sure-shot>
posted
Compressed air, toothpick, toothbrush.....compressed air, toothpick, toothbrush and so on, good luck!

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that! It teaches ya real fast the COL in the manuals not always right for your gun. I did it 30 year ago and went thru the swabs, toothpicks, ect. Today I think I`d try gun scrubber, any oil or grease in the works will hold the granuals and if they`re in a spring or other tight spot it should wash them out. Just remember to relube when you`re done.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done it too.

You might try using a vacuum cleaner if you can get a wand or probe small enough to get into the rifle action.

I know -- you're not supposed to vacuum up spilled powder. But I'v done it with small amounts, and so far nothing has happened.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<PowderBurns>
posted
Compressed air, toothpick, toothbrush, bore light, toothpick, toothbrush bore light, compressed air . . .

I'd been increasing OAL to get the bullets to sit against the lands. They're against the lands now.

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

<phurley>
posted
Powderburns -- I did it three times in one night, I really felt smart after that little trick. Good Shooting.

------------------