New
Find
Notify
Tools

least temperature sensitive powder for 223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Been getting good results w/ H335 in my AR, but have heard that this particular powder is very temperature sensitive. This concerns be because I'll be shooting coyotes this winter and prairie dogs in SD next June. Don't want a super load to start blowing primers or being less accurate. Blc-2 seems promising but velovity was down 200 fps from the H335. Any ideas? Thanks

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Try some Varget.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
27.5 grains of Varget (compressed) is a good 40 grain bullet recipe.

Around 24 to 25 grains is where to be with the 55's.

Varget is very temperature stable, it will be hard to beat in that arena.

The new Hodgdon Benchmark might be a good choice as well, especially with the 55 grain bullets.

Dan

<hunting1>
posted
25gr Varget, wsr primer, shoots good in every rifle I have fired it in. Works great on fur if that is what you are doing. Good luck! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Benchmark, Tac, N133, and Varget are all much less sensitive than h335. And burn a heck of a lot cleaner. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the data I've seen indicates that some of the information floating around on "temperature insensitivity" in certain lines of powder may be more hype than reality. I can't pretend to say for certain because I have no actual personal experience.

H-335 (WC 844 in military nomenclature) was developed specifically for the 5.56mm (.223 Remington). To my knowledge, the military, which should have a great deal of interest in keeping pressures/velocities within an acceptable range in all temperatures, has never had a problem with this powder.

My point is, if H-335 is working well for you, test it at low temps by deep freezing some rounds and carrying them to the range with you on ice (dry ice if you wish). See for yourself if performance changes enough to merit changing powders.

Good shooting!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dont be fooled by company hype my shooting partner and i were out to our range last week and it was a little cool our temp gauge was at 24 we set up our chrony and started to shoot groups both of us were shooting our 223's they were loads that we had worked up in the summer and had chronyed many times at temps ranging from 60 to 95 they were loaded with H 335 and varget on this day they all shot at least 200 ftps slower than when it was warmer. we stayed out there about 2 hours and each group slowed the longer we were there as it was cooling down still. we were also shooting for groups and all shot lower than they were sighted in for. so from our practial info the powers we used were tempature sensitty

Posts: 61 | Location: Missoula,Mt | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote