New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Tricks - Part 2
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This isn't much of a "trick" but I'll sure bet the farm about two things here.
1. Damn few reloaders do it.
2. All of us would be mighty glad if we did.

I'm speaking of a load book. OR now that we are knee deep in computers today, it could just as easily be a simple spread sheet or data base we cook up. (Just be sure you back up your data with a hard copy!)

Anyway, regardless how we do it, EVERY serious reloader should keep a loading log each time we build a batch of shells.

The pay-off for this bit of extra trouble is significant. Shucks, it may pay for itself in the long run by preventing us from trying to "re-invent the wheel" every year of two. Many times I've sat down to load and gotten that strange feeling, "I've tried this load before!" Sadly, I can remember if it were good or bad.

And such notes give us a constant reference line to improve things. Instead of guessing, we KNOW what primer and power we used. And perhaps the exact seating depth if we want to log that too.

Make your loading log as simple or complex as you want. I recommend keeping it pretty simple with the belief simple is always better and we will be more likely to stick with it.

Even if this log never profits you personally a lick (which I think impossible) this forum is a classic example of such a log's value. Almost every forum you get on, someone is asking for data or results from some bullet, powder, or load.

I wish I could boast how I've followed my own preaching, but the truth is I've only done it hit or miss. It makes me proud when I hit and can help someone, but it sure makes me feel stupid when I have a question or someone asks for help and I know I've done it before...but now I don't remember squat about it.

So, my friends, you pick the method that suits you......but start logging your reloading results faithfully one way or another. (Besides it's fun to look back on what you've done years later.)

Oh, and don't forget to log the results. Accuracy? Bullet performance? etc.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Microsofts Access since it came out to keep track of my loads. I have 25 fields of information. I don't always use each one on each load but I put in what's important. The beauty of it all is the query function. I can search for example (all loads with 4895 powder and greater than 3000 fps but less than 3200 fps) and it will come up with only those that meet the criteria.
A great program for this.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stronics:
I have used Microsofts Access since it came out to keep track of my loads. I have 25 fields of information. I don't always use each one on each load but I put in what's important. The beauty of it all is the query function. I can search for example (all loads with 4895 powder and greater than 3000 fps but less than 3200 fps) and it will come up with only those that meet the criteria.
A great program for this.
David

EXCELLENT! This is exactly what I'm talking about David. Move to the head of the class!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is another little goodie I don't use quite as faithfully as I should:

On every reloading bench I recommend keeping a roll of 1" masking tape. It's got scads of uses.

1. Tape boxes shut (Like primers and bullets which are really fun to pick up off the floor)

2. Put a date strip on your powder cans so you know which is fresh and which is the one you traded for at a gunshow in 1941.

3. (This is my pet) Stick a little piece of tape on your powder measure when loading to remind you what the hell powder you left in the thing last time. I've gotten pretty good at visually identifying a lot of powders, but some of the ball powders can really be hell to tell apart. This may save you having to pour the powder out rather than risking pouring it back in the wrong can.

This roll of tape and the Sharpie pens all of us seem to have rolling around beside our reloading press is a label/sealer factory. Simple thing but can save you mucho grief.

------------------

<.>
posted
Masking tape:

DON'T leave the powder in the measure! It goes back in the can you got it from. That way you get the same lot in the same can every time.

When working up loads I write the load data on masking tape running across the inside of the ammo case. That way it stays put.

I tape the primer tray shut on the RCBS hand primer. Keeps it from coming loose.

Two dies on the Uniflow powder measure, "rifle" and "pistol" . . . taped and ID'd.

Masking tape works better than a "post-it" for lots of applications.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right, Geng. I should be forced to drink hot beer for a week whenever I leave excess powder in my measure, but after a tough night of reloading sometimes I forget.

And I agree masking tape is Ooooh Gobs better than post it notes. Those things have a way of wandering off.

Anyone else have any ideas for "Reloading Logs?"

------------------

<.>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:

Anyone else have any ideas for "Reloading Logs?"
[/B]

Why would anyone want to reload a log?

I've been using spiral bound note books and developing my own format. This works for me partly because I teach writing at the local university and tend to keep copious records of any "process" in spiral notebooks. I teach students to keep "journals" in notebooks. So, when I look at a load, not only do I have "stats" -- I have some narrative about problems, concerns, how the load shot/grouped.

But someone in here suggested running a spread sheet on "Access" (??) a MicroShaft program. I imagine it's in "MicroShaft Works" . . .

If I run a spread sheet, then I can cross reference loads, pick a powder and velocity then find the relevant data.

I want to see a chrono printer that feeds data into a laptop and spread sheet.

When I post "taped" data on powder cans and primer, bullets, etc. I also note what I paid for it and where. That way I can compare bargains and avoid getting gouged.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

<ARvrmthunter>
posted
I will cut out the group of the loads i tried and tape them in my log for future reference along w/ velocity information,temperature, and wind at time of load testing

<ARvrmthunter>
posted
Also my loag is a 5x7 spiral notebook. One notebook dedicated to each gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use masking tape, too. Its really great. Take a longer strip and write all you want. Also sticks better than post-its.

I always write the load infos an masking tape, which I put at the inside top of my boxes. O.K., I have to open the boxes to know, but even masking tape sometimes goes off ...

Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Pecos45
Given your previous posts on your attempts to blow yourself up, I'm glad to hear you have a log!

I have notes going back to my first wild attempts with Lee's powder measures. Still use some of those loads, but now with a scale.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find that a log is completely unnecessary for recalling loading data I worked up three decades ago, and absolutely indispensable for loads I did three weeks ago. I also feel worse after a good night's sleep than when I went to bed. Doctor, what's happening to me?!

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Masking tape? I make load labels on this puter using printshop software to print on avery labels. I put the info headings similar to the sticky labels found in speer bullets boxes. Just peel one off, stick it on the lid of the case guard.

------------------
if you run, you just die tired

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LOL Stonecreek. I think it's called getting old. Ain't it fun? - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote