Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet weight versus Barrel Twist?
 Login/Join

posted
I recently purchased a 243 win. Model 10 GXP3, it has a 1:9 1/4 twist. I was doing some reading on twist vs. weight and I was wondering would I be better off shooting something like 85-100 gr bullets, right now I have some 65gr hornady v-max reloads that shoot alright but haven't tried different bullets or powder charges. Most of my shootign will be done in the 300 yard mark (deer, coyote, g-hogs). I also have some 95gr Nosler Partitions that I haven't loaded yet and am earger to check them out. Anyone got a good load for the 95 partition with IMR 4350 powder?

Posts: 29 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
43 gr 4350 * 95 nosler showed great promise for me

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Twist ratio determines bullet length not weight.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I've found the Greenhill formula works for me. (ABC's of reloading Pg 62)

150 / (X/Y) = twist rate in barrel

X= bullet length
Y= bullet diameter

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The relationship betwixt bullet length and twist is that there is a MINIMUM twist requirement for every lenght.

Not a "maximum" twist, for most effects and purposes. You CAN spin a bullet too fast, but that usually happens with a light for caliber bullet in a "over bore" chambering. Like shooting a 70 gr. Hor. SX in a 240 at near red-line..... POOF!

But, a 65 gr. bullet in a 243, no problem with todays top-notch bullets. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote