Notify
Tools

Normal or Magnum primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted
Hi guys,
I reload all the ammo that I shot with sotisfaction, and this from about 13 years.
Of course I have see many different situations. Here in Italy isn't easy to find the best powder for each load and sometimes I want to try a powder also if this is not the very best for this specific load.
As ex.: Remington 700 BDL 22" barrel, cal 30'06, 150g bullet, VihtaVuori N540 powder and Federal 210 primer. Result: 1 yard fire out form muzzle!!! 1.0 MOA
I think in this case the powder is a bit too slow.
So I try Federal 215 Magnum primer, why if the primer is stronger, the powder must burn a bit faster (so I hope).
The result was good: fire out from muzzle is now max 7-8" and accuracy is better 0.7 MOA.
Have anyone similar experience???

Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you often see the same thing in the 30-06 with Alliant Reloaded22 propellant (Actually made by Norma)

And similar effects have been observed with the 270winchester with slower propellants.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I try Federal 215 Magnum primer, why if the primer is stronger, the powder must burn a bit faster (so I hope).

I doubt you`ll see any difference in muzzle flash with a primer change. The "flame" you are seeing is actually hot gas not burning powder. The mag primer might ignite more powder at once but it`s burn rate and gas volume won`t change.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Faina,

As Ol Joe above indicates, changing primers will make no visible difference in muzzle flash. If you saw a difference in muzzle flash, it was due to what you were lighting up Wink, not what was lighting up your powder charge.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote