New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for new single stage press
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a single stage press for reloading rifle cartages. I here a lot of talk about the CO-Ax press as being the best. I am also considering the Redding Ultramag & RSBC Rocker Chuker. I already have an old Herters so I want to do it right this time planing on useing it a long time. Let me know what you use and why you would pick the one you recommend.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old bonanza press now sold by Forster is the slickest I've ever used, especially if you load a lot of calibers. You don't have to fool with shellholders, except in very large rimmed cases and once the dies are adjusted once, they're just snapped in and out and held by a spring-loaded ball. I always left them a little loose(seating die), so the die would align itself with the case. Mine was stolen several years ago, and when I needed to replace it, Bonanza was no longer around, but I believe Forster sells it now.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Add another vote for the Co-Ax press. Not cheap but worth the money. I use some Bonanza dies, but mostly newer Reddings. I had formerly used an older RCBS Rockchucker. Between the new dies and the new Co-Ax my overall accuracy improved quite a bit.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Co-Ax is a great press. If you load any Nitro Express rounds you will need the BIG RCBS press. The Co-Ax is the best press for everything else.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Forster, all the way. Good stuff. Easy to work with. I have found accuracy has improved since I accquired the Forester press.

Posts: 9 | Location: phoenix | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Boss. You say that you already have a Herters. If its one of those massive single stage ones, you already have a great press unless its ram has considerable side wobble.

Only press better than a Herters thats in good shape is a CoAx in MHO [Razz]

I have two Herters, a single stage and a six station. Wouldn't take for em.

Ray

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Agree on the lack of spring in those old Herter presses, but their leverage system is antiquated and bad, requiring more effort than should be necessary. After the Forster Coax, any of the heavy duty presses from the majors are good, just choose the color you like!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another Co-Ax user and fan.

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a rock chucker and I realod from .22 Hornet to .585 Nyati on it. It works well, and produces good ammo for me.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I joined the co-ax crowd about a year ago, it really is great, best press I have used. Before I used a Lee Challenger, it worked to and I loaded some very accurate ammo with it but I would never consider going back, the co-ax takes so much less effort when resizing and reforming, changing dies takes about two seconds and the finished ammo has measureably less runout. Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote