New
Find
Notify
Tools

25.06 Seating Depth Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Tikka T3 25.06 and wanted to know the recommended seating length for 100 grain bullets?
I see in the Hodgons manual it says 3.200, but that seems a bit far out since the cannulure is clearly visible.
Can I seat it deeper in the case or will that create pressure problems? Thanks Esox357.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seat it in. Seat it out. Seat it backwards. Just make sure you work up from the starting load.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seat 100gr TSX bullets to 3.24"

I seat 100gr Ballistic Tips to 3.25"

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant to seat it deeper in the case? I heard Tikka's like it seated in the case more? Esox357.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
If it fits in the magazine (if you want a repeater) then you're fine unless it is jammed into the lands. Lots of times very close to the lands is the best bet for accuracy.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this:

1) Take an empty no-primer (dummy) sized case.

2) Partially seat the bullet.

3) Load dummy cartride in chamber and close bolt. The bullet will be forced into the lands and you will have this deminsion as a data base.

4) Now seat .030" deeper and try magazine box fit.

5) Test for accuracy and seat bullet out as far a magazine box allows or find optimum sweet spot and load singles.

This will optimize seating depth for your rifle.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote