THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Resurrecting a couple of older rifles - .243 info needed

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resurrecting a couple of older rifles - .243 info needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine found out I had two old rifles in 243 and gave me a pound of IMR 4064. One is a Remington 600 and the other is a Savage 99.
Years ago I loaded some 100 grain Speer cup-n-core bullets but can't find my notes.
I thought I'd try something a bit newer so I'm trying out some of the Nosler 95 gr Balistic Silvertips.

I'm hoping someone out there has some loads for this that might work in one or the other. Using the IMR 4064 and that bullet.

Thanks in advance

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Here is some Load info.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Greybird

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Nosler 5th edition shows 31.5-35.5 grs for 4064 with a 95/100 grainer.

Speer shows 29-33 grains for their 100 gn slug.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR-4064 is usable in a .243 with 95 grain bullets, but it will only yield very modest velocities at normal pressures since it is on the fast side for this case capacity/bore size.
You can probably get 200 fps more with a powder like H-4831 or RL-22 using 95-100 grain bullets.

With bullets from 55 to 70 grains the IMR-4064 will give you near optimum velocities, so perhaps you should reserve it for the lighter bullets.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the input. I managed to get out and shoot some loads yesterday. Not the most perfect weather, winds of 15 gusts to 20 Frowner . The 99 had scope troubles, so I'll have to go back and try her again. The 600 liked ALL of the loads. Using info from graybird's link, the 36.5 gr ended up just barely better than the 36.
3-shot group of .9" Big Grin

Funny thing, I had a bag of Prvi Parvati (sp?) NEW brass. Out of the 100 cases in the bag, only 31 would let a primer fit. Even after reaming out the others, NONE would take a LR primer and a small rifle primer just fell out. More to go in the recycle bin I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you reaming the primer pockets with? Did you try chamfering the opening a little? What primers and what did they measure in diameter? Just curious.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote