New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short .223 Brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just started reloading for my .223. The Winchester brass that I bought is shorter than the trim-to length (its 1.748 vs 1.750"). Will this cause any problems? If I dont trim the brass the length will vary slightly from round to round. I would think that this will cause some variation in accuracy. Should I trim all the brass short so it's uniform, or shoot it a few times and see if it grows?

I checked some fired cases from the factory Winchester ammo that I shoot and they are also a little short, is this common?

Posts: 130 | Location: Montana | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Elkhntr

.002 isn't too bad, some bags of cases do run a little short. If they were mine, I would trim all to the same length and load as usual. Did you resize them, sometimes you get a little growth with sizing. Unless you have a very short chamber,they will generally lengthen after a couple of firings.

Always go for consistency.I mainly shoot an AR15 with a Wylde chamber (not especially tight) and have not noticed a problem with short cases, but have tested with mixed length cases and have noticed a slight increase in group size with mixed cases.

good luck

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are crimping the brass for auto use I would just load the brass and then trim it to the trim length when it grows......I haven't seen this in 8 different brands/batchs of 223 but only one is a new purchase.....I got the chamber length gauges from Sinclair and it will suprise you how long some chambers are compared to "book" trim length and it hasn't hurt those guns/chambers.......good luck and good shooting-loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
elkhntr
The thinking on consistent case length is that you get the same bullet pull on all rounds.
.002 isn't much , it just depends on what level of accuracy you are looking for.
Like bigdaddyacp said, it important when crimping. I personally don't crimp rifle cartridges, but some do.
Happy Holidays
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your posts. I think I'll re-size the brass and then pull the worst cases out (anything over .002 difference). It looks like i'll remove about 10%. I'll use them for plinking and keep the rest for target shooting.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
elkhntr, hold onto your britches now...here's one to think about!!!

I load for six .223 rifles. 2 Remingtons, 2 Sakos, 1 Interarms mini and 1 M-70.

I hate to trim brass...it's a pain is the ars!!! So when I buy a batch of new brass I trim them all back to .03 under the 1.76...yes...I trim them to 1.730!!! That way I never have to trim them again. When they reach 1.76 I scrap them and get new ones.

I've fired thousands of rounds this way with no ill effects at all and accuracy has never been a problem with any of them.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats something to consider. I hate to trim brass as well. I just want them to be uniform. If it wont affect the way it shoots I may have to try trimming them all.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Full length resize before measuring or trimming any brass.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote