Notify
Tools

Re: NEED HELP ON LOAD!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Blakeroth,

I have the same rifle you have mentioned and mine shoots sub MOA w/ Nosler 140 grn Bal. Tips and w/ Hdy. 150 SPILs. Both bullets are over a charge of H4831SC.

W/ the Hdys, I load alittle above max listed and still get 1 holers. W/ the NBTs, I load it right at 2900 fps (cant remember the exact weight.) for around .6-.75" 100 yard Groups.

Alot of guys here have mentioned H4831 in the 270 just follow the majority, its a dang good powder in the ole' 270 win.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can deal with reduced velocity, I have seen several problem 270s, two I have owned.

44 grains of H 380 tightened up the groups dramatically.
CCI or Fed Large Rifle Primers were used.

This works with 130 , 140 and 150, grain bullets.

Downside is that most guys can't live with 2600 fps MV out of a 270. Unless you have to shoot at 400 yds, I don't look at it as an imposition at all.

Good luck,
cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If your rifle is shooting well w/ factory ammo, it has to be either your recipe or your method. What kind of equip. do you have, how are you sizing, etc.? The .270 is really a magnum & most magnums shoot their best when loaded near the max. H4831sc, RL22, IMR7828 should give you good performance.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
While I must concur with the majority of posts which state that each rifle is an individual, there are some calibers which do indeed have "favorite" powders and most often a close approximation of someone's secret load will work in your rifle. I have been recently working with a Ruger #1 in .270 Winchester and all my local buddies have suggested the H4831 short cut. Since I didn't have any in the powder locker I went with IMR 4350, and 4831 as well as Reloader 22. Using Federal 210 match grade primers and some F215's as well. I have a friend who has a Sako which just loves H450 and 130 grain partitions. As a generalization the slower powders burn better and the loads have a lower standard deviation when nearing maximum. Accuracy for me has also fortunately been found at near maximum. Load with care and try a slower powder then you have so far. I do feel that you should give some thought to bullet/cartridge runout as the factory ammo while often good has nevr yet beat quality relaods for me. Good shooting.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, it is most likely not this since you said factory loads worked fine, but are the bases and rings tight? Are your action screws tight but not so tight you can't loosten them? Is the barrel floated? If it were me, I would rebarrel that thing with a good barrel like lilja, krieger, shilen, or hart and choose the best gunsmith you can find. If you don't find a load that suites you, I would bet most anything you'd never regret putting a custom tube on that action. Also, is the stock bedded? Most importantly make sure the barrel is floated. Doesn't hurt to get the trigger worked on either.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Slow down guys, he said his rifle is sub MOA w/ factory stuff. There is nothing wrong w/ your bbl. bedding, scope, etc. If it shoots factory ammo well, it's in your methods or components. IF you have good dies, press, good bullets, you're just doing something a bit wrong. You never said how good/bad your reloads shot. I have a .280 that is a very good shooter, usually just under 1MOA. I can beat it occasionally but that's the avg. w/ handloads. The discontinued Speer Nitex ammo, 160gr, consistently shoots right near 1/2MOA every time. I ahve not been able to reproduce that accuracy using Speer's 160grGS & any powder. I can get close but not beat it. Go figure.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well i took your advice and went out and bought some h-4831 sc and loaded up a few with 130 grain nosler bt's. Im going to take them to the range tommorow.and in response to equipment i have a rcbs supreme kit and rcbs dies,i clean my brass and flashholes and trim all cases to length.And i have my bullets seated pretty close to the rifling.
thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that some 270 prefer 150 gr. bullets and some like the 130...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 3 270s I load for have all liked the 150s, 2 of them did not like the 130s at all, and my Ruger M70 MkII is very picky about the 130 loads, but is a consistant rifle with 150 grain bullets, but I still can't find a dang load that will average less than 1.2" with a 5 shot group. Yes I know, good enough, but I like the tiny groups. The other 2 rifles are savages and are very accurate with the 150 grain loads I have put through them. try the 150s with RL22, H4831(long or SC), and IMR4350. One of them should work OK.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote