Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Rem Mag
 Login/Join

posted
Recently found a Model 700 BDL in this caliber, 24" BBL. Am aware of COL limitations and have not reloaded for rifle/pistol before but have all tools. Anyone with some experience they'd like to relate would be greatly appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5 rem built on a M-98 action. What in particular are you looking for? Maybe send me a PM

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-64 model 70 custom in 6.5 Rem mag. It is the best rifle I own, my go to gun for all things.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting and reloading for my Rem. 700 6.5 mag for over 25 years, have tryed a lots of different loads over the years, but keep comming back to H4831sc (max charge as listed in the Hornady third edition hand book) and Hornady 129gr sp . Great black tail and muley load.

Posts: 3 | Location: northern Cal. | Registered: 29 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lastofthebreed
posted Hide Post
I got ahold of a Model 673 in 6.5 Rem Mag recently. I have been carrying it deer hunting. Managed to kill both deer I shot at, I've been impressed with the round. Got some brass on order, gonna see what it will do from the bench.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, sorry to have been late in getting back to you all.

To "Snowman": I'm not understanding what you mean by a "PM."

To "chris 6.5": I look at the maximum overall length stated in Hornady 7th edition as 2.80", then look at loading data for the 129 grain spire point Hornady which gives overall length of that load as 3.040". I don't doubt you at all, and I am a rank rookie at this, but have you modified your Model 700, or do you seat the bullet deeper?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
whtmtnguy, I'm also new to the 6.5 rm. I currently have a 700 bdl being rebarrelled by High Tech Customs to 6.5 rm. They are extending the magazine to 3.0".

While I'm waiting, I've been getting as much ready as possible. I got some new brass and Remington 9 1/2M primers from Midway. I've got 120gr a-frames and 125gr partitions ready to be loaded once the gun arrives. I also have 140gr corelocks incase my gun doesn't like those 120 and 125 bullet weights. I'm going to try imr4350 as powder. If that powder doesn't work, I'll try imr4831. I can't wait...

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I too am waiting on a rebarrel to 6.5 rem mag. Had a 26" XX Douglas barrel put on a 300 win mag action. It will have a custom chamber with a neck size of .295" so I have already neck turned the Remington brass down to .014". The Remington brass I got was pretty thick. The neck thickness ranged from .015" to .017" so they had to be turned or they would not have chambered.

I have 2 boxes of 130 gr Accubonds and will start loading with RL22.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have to keep o.a.l to no more than 2.84 in. or have to shoot it singel shot. Never set it out father as it shoots loads it liks under one inch (five shots groups). Picked up a 6.5-06 on a model 98 action, balistics are almost the same, the 06 having a 22inch bbl. Have two 6.5x55s and a 260Rem. also. Hunt with 260 (120gr Speer @ 2800 fps)mostly now days as I like the light weight Kimber 84M for Black tail deer.

Posts: 3 | Location: northern Cal. | Registered: 29 December 2007Reply With Quote