New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&w 460xvr mag
 Login/Join

Picture of Tomsky
posted
Is there anyone with reloadingdata for this revolver? I'm having some trouble desiding if i should bye me a .460xvr or just go for the .454 casull.There are nearly no reloading info about the .460 here in Norway yet. This revolver is new in our marked. I have Alliante, Hogdon and vitha powder. What's the best choice of powder?
Any bullet weights interesting.

Posts: 41 | Location: Norway | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Try the Hodgdon powder web site:

http://www.hodgdon.com/

Thus far, I think H110 is the best powder but when more choices in reloading manuals become available, that could change.

The S&W 460XVR is a very nice relolver. My advice; don't get a 454 Casull; get the 460.

As far as bullet weights are concerned, there are a couple of schools of thought. One, which I subscribe to, is to shoot light bullets (200 grains) for flatter shooting. Where I live in Ohio, a 200 yard shot at a deer isn't at all unusual. Then there are those who subscribe to the heavy weight bullet philosophy and the 460 handles these well also. My bullet brand of choice for the 460 is Hornady; I can hardly wait for their pointy tipped 200 gr. bullet to be available to handloaders.

The S&W 460XVR revolver comes with a muzzel brake which makes recoil comfortable. If you get another type of revolver without the brake, you may find the recoil excessive. The gun is LOUD!!! I use both ear plugs and ear muffs when shooting it.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the 460 also fired the 454 Casull. If so, get the 460 and have the best of both worlds including the 45 Colt.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
Hello and thanks.
I'll go for the 460.
Always wanted that one, but i got an offer from a shop in Sweden witch included 3 guns for a price below the price of the 460. 3 Taurus revolvers. one mod 605 357mag. 3"barell, one Mod 689 357 mag.6" barell and one .454 casull Raging Bull 8" barell. But i feel the 460 will make me feel on top of the day, every day!!
Too bad hunting with revolvers are forbidden her in Norway. For the moment. CRYBABY(fu..)

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I thought the 460 also fired the 454 Casull. If so, get the 460 and have the best of both worlds including the 45 Colt.
Peter.

Thats right. You can fire .460 mag loads, .454casull loads and .45 colt loads. Big plus for me who use the gun in competitions. (for FUN)

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
Is the comp replacable with any original part? In some of our competitions we ain't allowed to use comp, and i've heard it was made one original part for this.