Find
Notify
Tools

.270 HELP!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I have just loaded up 50 rounds of .270 ammo and I have run into some issues. I am loading up 130gr Fed trophy bonded tipped bullets, CCI 210 primers, and Remington brass, and 55.5gr H4831

First of all, I loaded them up with H4831 instead of IMR4831, my mistake. since it is a slower powder I don't see these running into pressure issues, but my real question is this below the start load?

Federal offers loading data for these on line saying the COAL is at 3.27. This would put the crimp past the driving band...seems a little off. I loaded them to 3.30 which is right at the last driving band.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady #9 manual lists a starting load of 52.3 gr. of H4831, and a maximum of 62.0 gr., for their 130 gr. bullets, including the GMX. If they were for my rifle, I would try one and look for any pressure signs on the brass, heavy bolt lift, etc. I never crimp loads for my .270s, but they are bolt actions and a Ruger #1. I have never had bullets move under recoil, and accuracy is better without a crimp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am loading 270Win with 140 grain Hornady boattail bullets with H4831 and CCI #200 primers and my go to charge weight is 59 grains. I don't have my COAL but I seat them .010" off the lands. I don't think you should have any problem with pressure at all, and believe you will have to push them harder to see decent accuracy, but as always increase incrementally so as to not get into trouble. BTW, any groove that is manufactured in the bearing surface of a rifle bullet is not to be used as a seating depth guide, and I just ignore them, but a crimp groove in a pistol or revolver bullet is to be aligned with the case mouth for proper crimping.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I will push them in a little deeper and call it good.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldWhy crimp? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote