Notify
Tools

Speer bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Dear all

Just recently got a deal on some Speer bullets but I have never used Speer before.

Anyone out there got any opinions from direct experience? I am looking for comments about accuracy really.

The ones I have are 7mm 160 grn boat tail but I would welcome any comments from anyone using any Speer bullets.

In terms of performance on game I will assess that myself at some point.

Anyway without waffling on I am interested in hearing any experiences anyone has about Speer bullets in general.

Thanks

JB

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those Speer BT are great on paper, but very soft on game.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've used speer off & on for long time now. in general i haven't gotten the accuracy out of them that i get out of others. not all mind you, but in general. that said i sure wish they still made the little 257 60 gr spire point, my little martini cadet 256 loved that bullet

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only Speer bulllets I've used are the TNT's in 22,25, 7mm and 30 caliber. All shoot exceptionally well. I can't say one negative thing about any of them, in any caliber I mentioned.
Also, I did test Speer's 87 gn Hot Core in 25 caliber, and also get great accuracy; like 3 shots at 100 yards in 1/2" groups, pleanty good enough for Michigan Deer.
Never tried any of the bullets you now have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never used Speer before.
Anyone out there got any opinions... looking for comments about accuracy really.

Well, lessee. Speers get 1.4 MOA, Hornady .8, Sierra .35. So Speers do fair but not real good unless your rifle is different from mine. And that is a possibility. In which case, who knows? [Wink}

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Speer Hotcor bullets in my .243 and they shoot very well.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 160 BT is the most accurate in my 7x64. Smacks em hard to. One of my go-tos!

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 934 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
In my experience, 30 cal, the boat tailed Speers are indeed quite a soft bullet compared to the hot-cors and something like a Hornady interlock.

The reason I was given by Speer was that the boat-tailed design is intended to be used at longer ranges than the flat based hot-cor and therefore were softer to ensure adequate penetration.

The 150 Grain versions I use in my 06 are happy at around 2800 fps but at 3000 fps they do serious bad things to Muntjac and Chinese water deer.

That caution out of the way and at the lower velocity they work fine on everything, I used that bullet to drop my big fallow on a quartering shot, through to munties.

If anything their softness makes them good killers.

If I sound a little over cautious then it's because I know you have a 7mm rem mag.... tu2

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve found Speer bullets are like lots of others in that they may shoot well in one rifle and not so well in the next. My 7-08 does pretty good with the 145gr BTSP but it does shoot other brands and wtgs as well or better. The 30 cal have done well in most hunting weights for me.
I`ve shot them from a 308 and 30-06 at exactly 2 deer total. One a 150 gr SP the other a 165 BTSP gave one shot kills and both bullets exited so how they held together is anyones guess. Range for both shots ~ 50 yds.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
I used to used 55gr. .224 SP in my 22/250. They shot well. I only moved to Vmax bullets because I heard such good things about them.

Both are accurate.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon2:
The ones I have are 7mm 160 grn boat tail but I would welcome any comments from anyone using any Speer bullets. ...
Just like with ANY Bullet made, some rifles shoot them accurately and some do not. The only way for you to know if "your" rifle shoots them well is to try them.

That specific Bullet is the one I use in my 7mmRemMag when I anticipated shots beyond 300yds. Out there you can use the Carolina Heart Shot(Shoulder-to-Shoulder) with them and they generally Exit When closer, I prefer to place the Bullet just behind the near Shoulder so it angles directly toward the off-side shoulder, or directly into the chest.

I agree they are not as Tough as a lot of Bullets on the market today, but they were never Designed to be. Use them as they are Designed and they will work better than the Super expensive, Expanding Solid, Politically Correct Bullets.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fellas

Great responses from you all and it is appreciated.

Agreed also with the sentiment that the proof will be in the eating and I am loading them up to try in the next couple of weeks.

They certainly look the part with the longish boat tail they have.

Thanks

JB

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote