New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading 500 Jeffery.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi

Got my hands on a Blaser R8 Safari, 500 Jeffery.

My plan is to reload all my ammo for this, only way if I want to shoot some, because of ammo prices.

Have read a lot about the caliber on net, and found there is very little to find about this caliber, a lot of what I find is not very trustworthy, 66.000 psi sounds dangerous to me....

Then we come to this withe the pressure.
From the very beginning of the caliber the pressured should not be higher than 46.000 psi.
I have found a lot af articles that say we can reload with much higher pressure with modern powder and rifles.

Found one article that looks a bit more thrustworthy than others, http://www.realguns.com/archives/157.htm ( note, there is a part one of this)
Almost in the bottom of Mr Joseph D'Alessandro's article he claim that it is safe to load the 500 Jeffery up to 57.000 psi, a big jump from 46k, and still not up to what a .460 Weatherby Magnum can be loaded to.

But, I still have my doubts, can this really be loaded that hard?

Found another article that is supporting the thoughts in the previous article, http://www.shootingsoftware.co...p/psicuparticle2.pdf
As you can see this explains some of why a "modern rifle/powder" can be loaded harder, it's about the way pressure is measured today and in the 1920's.
But, 11.000 psi higher? Is that safe?

So far I have only been reloading one bullet, 12 rounds, for my Jeffery.
It's the 535 grs woodleigh SN
With 126 grs Norma URP I get 730 m/s, or 2395 fps

Have some other bullets on order, Barnes and Hornady, both 570 grs.

Would have been nice to hear what experienced, or not so experienced, reloaders think about this.

Posts: 3 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi MacJoJo,

My friend and I both have R8's 500j. They make a compact, manageable and powerful package.

Try GS Custom 450gr HV. These are phenomenal bullets. Due to bullet design and reduced weight the recoil is also noticeably reduced compared with other bullets. I shot a starting/sample load at, 2647fps, average and the recoil is equal or less than 535gr @ 2200.. We were amazed when we checked the chrono, at the pace would thought to loose my fillings! So had a few more cracks. Also, of course very accurate.

The another great bullet (it needs no intro on AR...) is of course the Cutting Edge Bullet "CEB" 475gr safari raptor (if I recall the bullet name correctly). This clocked 2475fps without even trying...
Both above are surprisingly very manageable to shoot and deadly!

To boot these lighter bullets/loads extend the range or flatten the trajectory some. Not that its really need or is the cartridge's intended purpose.

The above may not be ideal for practise as these are premium hunting bullets (read cost) but they will certainly do the job!

We used South African made powders so the powder charges would not help you.

I'm sure more members will chime in.

Good luck and please keep us all posted.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I run my 535 woodies at 2350. That is plenty hot enough and plenty of recoil in my rifle. I bet your Blaser is a bit lighter than my rifle too.

Mac

Posts: 1732 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting 570g TSX and 570g A-Frame out of my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. I use Jamison Brass, Federal 215 primers and H4895. 101g wi gives me a leisurely 2200 fps, 103g 2300 fps, 105g is a little brisk giving 2410 fps with the same bullets. Might be a bit much with an 8 lb rifle.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4738 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My R8 is just over 12 lb included the kickstop, take the recoil very well.

Plan is to make some lead bullets, around 500g. Think that will be nice for leisure shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try cast boolits for the 50-70 sized 510. I shoot these over bluedot for practice on ground squirrels.

Posts: 46 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What about Gas Checks? Do I need that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be reloading for a friend that just picked up a 500j.. He is interested in 2000-2200 fps loads with 535 woodies, looking for powder and powder charge suggestions...
Thanks

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote