New
Find
Notify
Tools

hornady v-max
 Login/Join

<RobertJ>
posted
Does any one know what the maximum velocity recommendation is for hornady v-max? The particular bullet I am using is 110g .30cal
While working up loads for my 300 RUM I had some bullets not reach the target. Any help would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert, according to the Fifth Edition of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, Volume 2: The recommended muzzle velocity range for the 110 grain .308 caliber V-Max is 1800-3900 fps.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Steve in MI>
posted
Hey I had the same problemwith 300 rum. The trouble is if you are using a factory barrel 1-10 they will spin them selves apart. Too many revolutions for 37-3800+ fps. I called hornday and they did not recomend those kind of revs. I did have very good luck with the 115grn RPVB from starke. I have drove mine to 3900 and not had one failure. I tested them on dogs this summer in SD out to 300 they turn into a sticky film on the grass... I also tried some speer and hornady sp bullets the jackets would come off or the bullets would vaporize out in front of the barrel in a cloud of gray smoke.. I had a hard time getting all the copper out of the barrel after a jacket failure. Feel free to e-mail me if you need load data or have other questions . Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Steve in MI (edited 11-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Steve in MI (edited 11-11-2001).]