New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 brass to 260
 Login/Join

<tgwh>
posted
Has anyone had any experience necking 308 brass down to 260? Do necks need to be turned due to excessive thickness after being necked down?

Have thousands of 308 brass, and 260 brass is as dear as poison here.

Thanks in advance.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I tried it once to see what would happen. The end result with the case I necked-down was it has too short of a neck. I also tried 243 Win brass necked-up, and it worked much better.

I'm sure they 308 cases would work, but you'll have to live with short necks, and the possibility of turning necks.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is fairly easy to full length resize 308 to 243, and, indeed, the necks are shortish. I used a Wilson full-length die. The necks did not need turning due to the relatively large commercial chamber. However, one problem did develop. The necks of thel loaded rounds did tend to split, presumbably, due to overworking the brass. Annealing the necks seemed to fix that problem.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Long before Remington ever gave the .260 a home, I was necking down .308 brass for a 6.5x.308 -- with no problems whatsoever. And, there's no intermediate die necessary, either.

However, I must note that I used NEW brass. Fired brass may need to be annealed.

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote