Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Light .308 Whitetail Bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
How about using the Seafire method to load the Hornady 130 grain SSP to about 2100-2300 fps (I am assuming the shots will be reasonably close). If it will kill them at that level out of a Contender chambered for a 30 Herrett, then surely it will work in a downloaded rifle in 308 Winchester

You may want to load Nosler 130 or better yet, maybe a 150 grain Ballistic Tip to a reasonable level of recoil/noise.

Heck, I bet a bunch of the other 150s will perform at the lower levels of velocit and the noise and recoil levels are likely to be very reasonable.

Make sure . . . SURE that whe has good hearing protection during the practice sessions, I think most flinches are a response to muzzle blast, NOT recoil.

The Seafire 30-30 loads in my 14" are very reasonable with velocities of 2043 fps using the Remington 110 RN. This load was shot without ear protection one day and was NOT uncomfortable, but one load with M9 (funny looking 3031) gave me a hint the ear protection was missing.

If you have some time and are a reasonably experienced reloader I think his method will readily meet your goals.

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load a 150 gr FN 30-30 bullet with 30-30 data, and you should kill the deer just fine.

If you can find some 150 gr FN Barnes X, you REALLY will get the job done.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the speer hollow point is 130 grn and works great on deer shot one in the neck head almost fell off. Code:

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
37.0 grains of 3031 and the speer 150 grain spitzer hotcor should be just fine. My 308 has a 22 inch barrel and this is my treestand deer load usually. Light recoil, 2400 fps low report.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SmallCal,
I bought my 10 yr old son a new hunting rifle this year, a Savage bolt action chambered in 308 Win. I used Seafire's beloved Blue Dot to work up a reduced recoil load for him. I ended up w/ 23.0 gr using the Nosler 125 gr Balistic Tip w/ mv of 2500 fps. I also tried the Hornady 130 gr SP (NOT the SSP), but it wasn't as accurate as the NBT. You'll get slightly more recoil w/ a heavier bullet. With this load, the gun shoots about like a 243 Win. He didn't get an opportunity to shoot a deer yesterday on opening day, but I hope he gets a chance at some point this season.

I had sent an e-mail to the tech folks at Sierra re: powder choice for the above project and they suggested 4895 (their recs dealt w/ conventional rifle powders; I didn't mention the Blue Dot to them...) The Hornady website has a lot of reduced loads (they call them "youth loads") using H4895 available for high powered rifles.

A few months ago I worked up a reduced recoil load in 257 Roberts using the Sierra 90 gr HPBT and (again...) Blue Dot. Muzzle velocity was 2650 fps. Load was very mild. My friend's two young grandson's both successfully harvested 11 point deer w/ this load. Reduced recoil loads can be very lethal on deer.
Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington 125 grain PSPCL bullet pushed by about 36 grains of IMR4198 works good too!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd do the 30-30 load with it, 150 gr Hornady RN with about 33-35 gr RX15 if I recall correctly. IMO you will accomplish more in the recoil reduction department with the same weight bullet and less powder than trying the lighter bullet at normal velocities. The SSP bullet theory with reduced loads will work as well but you will likely lose some penetration. Anyway, the load above is a killer, it's mild, and good for about 150 yards +/-. Good luck.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Seafire's Blue Dot loads. I cooked some up this weekend, I have a young boy down the street, always wants to see what I am up to. (dead beat dad, never around).Asked Seafire, he suggested ( for 308) to start with 18gr and work up to a max of 22-23. With a 150gr Hornady balistic tip, 21gr of blue dot is amazing. Accurate, and super low recoil. This kid was shooting 2-2.5 inch groups, and this was the first time he's shoot Hi-power. I don't have a chronograph, but they have to be in the 30/30 range. I think I'll be able to get him his first deer this year. After all, kids are the future of hunting, and the tag only cost me $11.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/308win_y.php

Check the above link for hodgdon's data with the .308 Win and 130 gr hornady bullets. The bullets are inexpensive and they might shoot accurately from your mom's rifle.

I used reduced loads with H4895 in my 300Win Mag and 130gr Hornady bullets. They shot accurate and the kick was very very mild. Should work well in the 308 also.

Posts: 117 | Location: Tumwater, Washington | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the great advice. Should have mentioned that we are currently using 150 grain RN in it now, so it's time to work up some loads. I'll try a couple of the methods suggested and report back.

Thanks again.

Also, acsteele and others, thanks for helping out the younger generation. This 308 will probably end up with my daughters when they are old enough (another 8 years or so).

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go, Mom! Gotta love that gal's spirit!

At full speed, the old (now discontinued) 125 gr. Barnes-X was great on the 4 deer I shot with it. It opened up quickly on a very small animal, yet penetrated like no tomorrow on larger ones. I never tried it at reduced speeds. I believe Barnes is set to introduce a 130 TSX. Push it to about 2650 and I bet a Keystone state deer converts to freezer meat real quickly.

The Speer 130 hollow point has a reputation for fine accuracy, and reportedly opens up quickly. At reduced speed it might work just fine. Speer also makes a 130 flat nose for the 30-30 that seems tailor-made for your needs.

All the best to you and your Mom. I learned to deer hunt in the western Pa. Alleghenies.

BigIron