New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon Square Deal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Might be able to buy one, no dies but has powder hopper, for equivalent of US $40.

Are these any good and can I get dies and shellplate to reload .44 Magnum? I know what the 550 is like but that's not what is offered!

Many thanks for any and all opinions!

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo, I've got one of the original Square Deals, set-up for 38 Spl/.357 Mag and .44 Mag.

My understanding is that Dillon still has replacement parts available for them, so probably 44 Mag Die Head & Base Plate my still be available. Send 'm an inquiry.

Couple of issues that plagued the original Square Deal that led to the 550:

Upwards priming stroke isn't very powerful and requires some real effort. Since my SD isn't permanently mounted on the bench (space issues) when it is mounted I have to insert a 4"x4" post directly under the press to accommodate the amount of pressure required. I now use it "semi-automatically" and prime the cases separately.

The primer tube leaves you in the lurch as there was originally no way to note when the tube was empty. Simple fix with @ 10" piece of snipped off metal clothes hanger with red finger nail polish painted bent end so I don't have to fish it out of the tube. The red finger-nail polish for "visability".

With a little bit of forethought I've developed a system that makes mine useful for me and certainly saves time when mass loading mid-range 44 Mags & buckets of wadcutter .38 Spls. for target shooting.

Yeah, I like mine and for the price you mention certainly a solid deal (pun intended) if the parts required can be obtained from Dillon.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Conversion kits are still available direct from Dillon:

http://www.dillonprecision.com...liber_Conversion_Kit

Looks like the kit is $84 US, don't know how bad shipping and any taxes on your end would be?

That is a great deal on the press. I don't have a square deal press, but looked hard at them for a time. They are a pain in the ass to swap calibers on, and get set up and adjusted, but if you're using it as a dedicated for caliber press, they would be great. I nearly bought one in 38/357 for my wife, when she was first getting into competition.

They still offer a separate setup video that is supposed to be a good reference.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Enfield
I've got three of them. One for 44 special, one for 45 acp and one for 357 mag.
I set them up for their caliber, bullet and powder charge 20 years ago or so, and have been merrily loading ever since.

Enjoy

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote