Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSX question
 Login/Join

posted
I remember reading something from Barnes re: seating depth for the TSX. I'm loading .358 Norma and want to shoot the 225 gr. TSX. If I remember correctly guys were having better results with a deep seating depth i.e. .070-.100 off the lands. Has anyone had this experience. I normally seat at about .050 off the lands and work closer if the load seems like it wants to shoot. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Posts: 19 | Location: Peoples Republic of NJ | Registered: 29 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Barnes says seat them at least 0.50 off of the lands. I adjust in and out .005 at a time to fine tune them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is plenty of information on the subject at barnesbullets.com. I have found that what they say about seating depth is true.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I have loaded literally a thousand TSX's and start seating at .03". Have varied the seating depth to .07" without discernible difference but have not done that enough times to say with certainty that will always be the case.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Jim, like you I generally just seat them at .050 and call it good. With the exception of 140 grain XLCs in my 6.5X55 (which like to be only .010 off the lands), this has produced excellent accuracy.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys....

Posts: 19 | Location: Peoples Republic of NJ | Registered: 29 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

For the TSX's I have loaded, .224", 6mm & 7mm; I have never even concerned myself with adjusting seating depth.

While I have always checked to ensure the reloaded rounds do not have the bullets into the lands; I've always seated them just to the upper part of the front crimping grove, used the Lee Factory Crimp Die to give a firm crimp and gone out and shot 'em. Have received fantastic accuracy from loading the TSX's this way.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote