New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been reloading for 10 plus years and in the past I've mostly used Winchester brass and have been pretty happy with it. I've bought a 7mm RM and want to get the most out it, so I'm wondering is there any advantage to using Norma or Nosler brass? Keep in mind this will be a hunting rifle but at the same time I'm looking to get the best groups out of it I can. So what do you think, is the Norma brass (+$100 per 100) or the Nosler brass (+$100 per 100) any better than the Winchester brass ($38 per 100)???

Does Federal still make brass? I did use some of there match grade one time and it was good.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're not talking a BR quality gun my experience tells me the cost does not justify the use of Lapua, Norma or Nosler brass.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, Federal match brass is no longer available unless you buy the bullet, powder, etc. that goes with it. It's also what I used to use when possible.

I now go with Remington or Hornady brass and have been happy with it. I haven't been able to justify the cost of Lapua, Norma & Nosler brass. I'm happy with 0.5 to 2.0 MOA (depending on the gun and caliber) that I get with Remington and Hornady brass. If I wanted to get picky, I would sort cases by weight, turn the necks, etc. but I'm not in bench rest competition so I don't think it's worth it.

I recently bought a 7mm Rem. Mag. barrel for my Encore. I'm using Remington brass, CCI 200 Large Rifle primers, Hornady 162 grain A-Max bullets and RL-22 and it appears that when all is said and done, my load will be good for less than 0.5 MOA.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what jay and grumulkin said great advice... thumb jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark65x55: I checked my latest Mid-Way flyer and the Federal website and could find NO offering for ANY type Federal brass what so ever.
I use Federal brass in my 7mm Remington Magnum and obvioulsy when I use it up I will be switching to something else.
Let us know what you decide on.
Good luck!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Rem. brass simply because that was what was there to get. I have never used Win. brass so I don't know if its better or worst. For me I can not see spending that much money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Natchez Shooters Supply sells Federal brass but its primed. They do list 7mm RM for $16.37 for a 50 count bag. They don't specify that any of the brass is match grade but it is Federal. Hope this helps.

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Johnson:
If you're not talking a BR quality gun my experience tells me the cost does not justify the use of Lapua, Norma or Nosler brass.
thumb

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use Norma brass in my 7mm and my 220 swift too. I think it is more uniform, but I still turn the necks....Every little thing that I can make better makes me feel better...Buy a few of each and see what you think.

Posts: 16 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
...I'm looking to get the best groups out of it I can. So what do you think, is the Norma brass (+$100 per 100) or the Nosler brass (+$100 per 100) any better than the Winchester brass ($38 per 100)??? ...
Hey Mark, I like accuracy too. That is why I don't mind doing a Full Case Prep on ALL my cases.

I've no argument with folks that don't want to take the time to do all the Case Prep. Even enjoy shooting with them to see who buys the BBQ for supper. Wink

I would buy 300(-500) of the Win cases at $38, if that is the best you can find the price.

Then I'd run them all through the FL Die and tumble off the Lube. Trim to length with a Lee Hand-Held Case Trimmer and deburr/chamfer the Case mouths. Deburr the Flash Hole and Square the Primer Pocket.

Then I'd "borrow" a buddies electronic scale, weigh each case, mark each case with it's exact weight using 3M Transparent Tape and keep a Talley Sheet for all 300(or 500) cases.

Take the Talley Sheet and using the data from it list all the cases from the lightest to the heaviest and record the number of cases at each weight.

Take the Second Case Weight List and break them into groups of 9-18.

Then begin Load Development with Cases exactly alike as possible.
---

The reason I'd go with the Win cases is because I'd do the same exact thing even if I had bought the Norma or Nosler cases and I get to use the additional cash however I want. Nothing at all wrong with R-P cases if you can locate them at less cost.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I started loading for my 300 WSM, it was bran new, no cases available EXCEPT the fired brass from factory winchester. THEN empty brass became available from winchester. I got a couple bags, 2 out of fifty had cracked necks from bags of new brass! Horrible crap! Then Norma cases became available, I got some, beautifull stuff. That , of course, soured me on winchester brass. I don't like federal either, their .223 brass is weak in the head area. The fed brass goes in the recycle bin if I pick some up at the range.

I don;t weigh cases. But I do all the case prep that HC does. If I ever get a match chamber, that would change, all my rifles are factory chambered.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I still use some Winchester & Remington Brass I bought some of the Federal Primed Brass from Natchez which was cheaper than the Winchester Brass, in .223, 25:06, & 30:06 and currently test loading the 25:06 and working out great, seems a little thicker than the Winchester. Also the primers are gold, not sure who's primer is in them, assuming Winchester but I'm fireforming all of mine then will go with Federal Match Primers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you spend the time prepping Win brass is as good as any. If you are trying to shrink your groups, well prepped brass (hand or factory) can help…. If you are happy with the groups you are getting… then it is not worth it. I personally hand prep Winchester brass and am very happy with it. It depends, do you have more time or money?