Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
We are going to shoot my buddy's new 375 tomorrow. He has a box of 270 hornadies pointed. I am looking for a load that usually works well in this caliber, somewhere to start. What loads have worked for you guys in this caliber? Thanx

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
70 grs of h4895 and the 270 hornady spire pt in Rem cases sparked by CCI250 primers shoots under 1 in groups @ 100yds in my rifle. Start @ 67 or 68 grs

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have had good luck with 66 grains of IMR 3031 for both 270 and 300 grain bullets in the .375 H&H. I find that there's not enough space in the case for good performance with powders in the IMR 4350 and slower class.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with the starting load in the Hornady manual. 73.3 grains of Win 760 with the 270 Hornady. Tolerable recoil and extremely accurate in my Ruger 1 375.

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get good groups with the 270gr Hornady and 70 grains of R15, remington magnum 9.5 primers.

Don't remember offhand what the base load is for R15, but I worked up to the 70 grains. It doesn't seem hot.

Posts: 181 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raven045:
I get good groups with the 270gr Hornady and 70 grains of R15, remington magnum 9.5 primers.

Don't remember offhand what the base load is for R15, but I worked up to the 70 grains. It doesn't seem hot.

I expect that that is a mild load for almost all rifles. In my rifle, I can use over 76.0 gr with the same 270 grain Hornady bullets. Brass is still going at 8 loads, so it isn't excessive in MY rifle, but I would not recommend that anyone else use this much without great caution. My rifle has a long throat and magazine and I can seat the bullet so far out that with the right brand of brass it is nearly .375 Ackley capacity.

Recoil is noticeable though, and a heavy crimp becomes necessary much beyond 70 grains. The Lee Factory Crimp die has, however, solved all my problems with the bullet moving under recoil (and improved accuracy a bit too).

Do NOT make loads this heavy and head for the shooting range! Even if your rifle can handle them, the recoil isn't that much fun if you want to shoot a lot!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 and WW 760/H414 with nearly full cases give excellent results with bullets of 270 grains. I think you will find these medium-slow powders more consistent than the faster burners.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote