New
Find
Notify
Tools

330 Dakota ; 300 GRAIN BULLETS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any body out there use a .330 dakota and who has tried 300 grain bullets?

I would be interested to hear any results or findings with any 300 grain bullets and in particular 300 Matchkings and what loads were tried.

I presently use nosler partitions in 250 grain but am looking to move up for long range accuracy.

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
did you get the 300g SMK to shoot in your 330 Dakota

Posts: 59 | Location: mi | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crow mag

I must confess to not having pursued the test, I only managed to get some 300 SMK's a few weeks ago as they are not too easily available here in the U.K and on opening the box they are one mean looking bullet. I will proceed with some trials but will need to establish starting loads although I do think that velocity is going to be low given the amount of case capacity that the bullet will take up.

I did however go an alternate route from the 250 partitions I had previously used and tried out the 210 TSX ahead of a large charge of Vhit 165 powder, I did not get to chrono the load but accuracy at 100 yards was good, often producing 5 shot groups into 5/8"

It would be interesting to see if Nosler follow up the 225 Accubond with a 250 -275 grain version, that would certainly be worth trying.

Also Berger have supposedly announced a heavy .338" bullet for next year, although I have no details of the exact weight(s), it dies at leat look like one will be in 300 grains.

Have you done any load testing with heavier than normal bullets in this calibre?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a project I am working on now. I have a XP-100 pistol I am having chambered in 330 dakota and plan on using the 300g SMK. I talked to Dakota and got some info RL-19 and they got 2500 FPS or 2550 FPS but he could not recall the powder charge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What twist does your 330 Dak have? I'm pretty sure that the Sierra 300 is one of their long range target bullets that they recommend a much tighter twist than normal.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9 twist for the dakota. I use a 10 twist in a 338 Lapua imp with the 300g bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re: Crown Mag

My own 330 Dak (On L/h model 70 action) also has a 1:9 twist, from memory is the minimum twist recomended by Sierra for the 300 SMK's is 1:10, maybe the way to start out is to adopt 338 Win Mag top end loads for a 300 grain bullets and work up carefully from there, we just need someone with time and facilities to do that.

I am guessing here but feel that any load develpoed to shoot well in my own rifle will see the rifle as a single shot only due to the oal of that long bullet, the model 70 magazine is not overly generous on magazine length without the need to make expensive magazine box/ bolt stop/ ejector blade changes.

Is the velocity you quote from Dakota of 2500 for a 10-12" barrel do you know?

one of us
posted Hide Post
10t 28" barrel. My XP-100 should be here in a month and I will be testing the 300g bullets when it gets here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did dig up some info on the 300g in the 330 Dakota
H 4831 SC start at 70g
H 4350 starting load 64g
R-22 Starting load 70g
RL-19 starting load 65g
I have not used these loads yet, will report when I get my barrel chambered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crow Mag

Thanks for the info, I look forward to hearing of your results