Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Temperature Sensative Powders
 Login/Join

posted
Besides Hodgdon's Extreme powders, what other powders are on the U.S. market that are less temperature sensitive?

I am particulary interested in powders that would be sutable for the 7mm Rem mag and the 300 WSM. Thanks

Posts: 13 | Location: Boise | Registered: 10 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The least sensitive powders are those in the burning range for .223 and .308 military cartridges. RL 15, Varget, and Ramshot's TAC. Ramshot Magnum is less temperature sensitive than IMR 7828 or RL 22. I have had good luck with it in both 300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Another vote for those Ramshot powders. I've only used three so far, Magnum, Hunter and Big Game. The Hunter is in the same burn range as H4350 and seems to be even better in heat than the Hodgdon whose velocity (and pressure,) rise significantly in heat over 70�. I shot Hunter two days ago in temperatures from 74� to 86� and as the barrel got hotter the velocity dropped!! Last Fall I used Magnum. Velocity in sub-zero weather didn't change from loads developed in the 70�+ weather. That trait alone makes that line quite attractive to me whoust develop loads and shoot in heat but hunt in extremely cold weather.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you said " besides Hodgdon extreme powders ".

But H4350 has been very good to me in 300WSM.

Travis F.