New
Find
Notify
Tools

218 Bee .223 or .224 ?
 Login/Join

<buckoff>
posted
Howdy.....1st time user(long long time reloader) here so please be gentle!
I have a marlin 1894 CL in 218 Bee and notice that most of the new load data lists it as .224 but I was always under the impression the "Bee" was supposed to be .223. Sierra is about the only manufacturer of .223 round nose bullets ( they call them Hornet bullets ) and I notice Hornady publishes load data for this rifle using the .224 bullet on their website. So what gives .223 or .224???

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Actually the original carftridge was designed with a .222 bullet...

However, most companies are today saying to use a .224 bullet. Best bet is to slug your barrel and find out exactly what you need.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
I've found that, depending upon the bullet, either will work. Accuracy may well be different, but then again this may not be noticable in your gun. I say this only because I have shot .224 bullets through a 22LR rimfire barrel (which is tighter than even the 223 hornet barrels). As always - when working up a load with different components - start low and find out what YOUR gun will like.

The bullets I use are all Hornady, and thus (I think) softer jacket than some others like Remingtons. The 45gr Hornadys give me no problems in my 25ACP necked to 22 rifle, while the Rem 45gr HPs gave high pressures (ruined cases) even with 1/2 loads.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tolar, Texas! I didn't know they had phone lines in Tolar!

Try some of both. The modern Marlin barrel is likely a nominal .224", but with the pressures generated by the Bee, you won't have trouble with either diameter. Shoot the one that gives you the best performance.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote