Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handloading for 270 WSM
 Login/Join

posted
I have purchased two rifles in 270 WSM. First was a Win Mod 70 Coyote. Tried all factory ammo and several handloads. Checked bedding-good, checked rings, mts, and scope-good. Best group was just under 3". I sold it and bought Rem 700 SPS, same deal but was able to get a 1 3/4 group using Win Power Point factory w/ 150gr. What experience have any of you had with 270 WSM. Any conclusions about factory or handloads? Any secrets I should know? I have many years experience and usually get great results from my loads. Thanks

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I bought a Savage 116BSS in .270 WSM. I never tried any factory loads, but after spending time on Shortmags.org, I handloaded some Magpro and a 140 Nosler Accubond. I get .6-.7 MOA from the load. Start at about 72 gr of MAgpro and work up. You should get 3200-3300 fps with a 140gr plus good accuracy. Some guys have reported good results with RL22. What powders and bullets have you tried??? This seems to be an extremely accurate cartridge and not difficult to handload for. Play with seating depth, start .030" off the lands.

bowhuntrrl

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but Remington makes a SPS?

I've heard of PSS.

I did not know they were making WSMs now.

Where did you find the Remington?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 270 WSM is an inherently accurate cartridge. You should be able to find fatory ammo that will shoot well. I would suspect you had other problems with your rifle that would not. Remington does not manufacture W(inchester) Short Magnum caliber firearms at all. They have their own line of Short Magnums in the Remington Short Action Ultra Mag (SAUM) family of cartridges. They are earning a reputation for excellent accuracy as well as the WSM family of cartridges. Much has been written elsewhere as to why these short stubby cartridges shoot well, but with modern rifles almost any cartridge with a PROPERLY mounted and adjusted scope will provide MOA accuracy (at 100 yards)-- Good Shooting!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I knew about all the short magnums out but in the intitial post, I thought I interpreted that he got a REMINGTON MADE RIFLE chambered in a WSM cartridge.

Unless it is custom made to fit WSM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington did indeed manufacture a rifle chambered for the .270WSM. Here it is! I don't think they are currently making them, since they have also discontinued their ammo for the .270WSM. Probably the realization that they were helping to kill their own 7mmSAUM by offering the .270wsm rifle and ammo. Chances are they would have sold more of the .270wsm than their own cartridge, so much for smart management at big green.

I am kind of surprised that you had accuracy issues with your model 70. My Super Shadow (Walmart special) has shot some 100 yard 3 shot groups of 1.25 inch with the Winchester Supreme 130 gr Ballistic Silvertips. My handloads with Vihtavuori N-165 and Nosler Accubonds and Accurate 4350 with Nosler 130 gr Solid Base bullets have been even better, with the best groups going under half an inch.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Kimber 8400 shoots 66.0 grs of RL-22 under a 140gr Nosler accubond, WW cases and 215M primers into 1/2 to 3/4 inches at 200yds (3 shots).......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I managed a gun shop in Greenville, SC and was offered the rifle by a distributor, I believe it was Ellett Brothers in Chapin, SC. The Remington Order #27331.

posted Hide Post
Remington does manufacture the Model 700 SPS in 270 WSM, I have one. Remington's order number is: 27331. It has a 24" barrel and 4 rd capacity. Great huntin rifle. I'm just trying to find right load. And no factory ammo has shot well in it yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 270wsm in a browning stalker and a win classic,the browning so far shoots much better with any load tried than the win.If you reload you may want to try besides the powders listed in the other post,IMR 4350,H414,h4350,and R-19

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Savage model 11 in 270 WSM. I loaded up some 130 gr Hornady's on top of RL19.RL22 and some H4831.The best groups were with the H4831. 67 grs behind the new 130 interbond groups into an inch at 200 yds.That load is max in my rifle so work up carefully from 63-64 grs. The rifle is not pretty to look at but I can hardly wait for deer season.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote