New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Rejuv my old reloading software!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have used for many years PC Bullet and its follow along, PC Bullet for Windows, from RCBS. This program was written by ADC in Scappoose, OR.

I just got a new computer, reloaded the program and old data, and got an error message that says that Windows/system/mscomm.vbx file needs to be updated.

Does anyone with computer skills know what I can do to "update" this file. (I did a search for this file, and "Explore" could not find such a beast in that file.)

Has anyone shifted their data over from the PC Bullet program to the new RCBS program? Is there another program out there which will pick up and use my old data.

This is SERIOUS. I have over ten years' of data at risk here. Please, HELP! Ku-dude

<Zeke>
posted
I am going out on a limb here so I could be wrong. You are missing a system file. Probably didn't load up the first time you installed the program. Try to un-install and re-install the software to get rid of the error message.

About your software. I think that RCBS.load and PC Bullet for Windoze are made by different companies. My guess is that the two programs are not compatible. Here is the web address for the current author of RCBS.load: http://www.gmdr.com/ . Maybe if you shoot them an e-mail they can help you.
According to the QwestDex website there is an ADC Inc. in Scappoose. Their phone number is 503-543-5088. You might find some help there also.

Hope this helps

ZM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ku-dude:

I just got a new computer, reloaded the program and old data, and got an error message that says that Windows/system/mscomm.vbx file needs to be updated.

Ku-dude, if all you truly need is an update to mscomm.vbx you can get the latest version at the link below. This looks like a self-extracting .zip file as the downloadable file is an .exe. So after you download the mscomm.exe you probably just need to run it (double click or Run under Start Menu) and it should either prompt you on what to do or just take care of everything for you. This file is associated with Visual Basic so FWIW...

MSCOMM.VBX Upgrade Site

Good Luck,
XWind

Posts: 203 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. You are what makes this such a great board! Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ku-dude - we've never had this request before, but it sounds reasonable/worthwhile... how about shooting us an email (gmushial@gmdr.com) and let's see if we can't get your pcbullet data successfully/cleanly into rcbs.load [And we agree: one simply doesn't walk away from 10 year's worth of reloading data - too much time, effort and money involved to even think about doing that.]
do shoot straight (even if the bullets seem to have other thoughts),
greg mushial
(author RCBS.Load + AtTheRange)
www.gmdr.com

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We loaded it and fooled into coming up. Let me explain what my computer expert and good friend did to make it happen (if I can).

First, we deleted the MSCOMM file in old code in the BC Bullet for Windows (we actually moved it someplace else) but we got it out of the program. Then we deleted PC Bullets from the 'puter, and reloaded it. When the program tried to boot the second time, it did not have a visual basic file, so it looked in the Windows library for the file, found the substitute file (the MSCOMM.vbx file renamed MSCOMM.000 as in the original PC Bullet for Windows) and plugged it for the original. This permitted the program to open.

When the program opened, we went to File, hit "open" and when the window opened up, wrote in the E drive, and it opened right up. Having done this, I went in thru Explore and copied the files from the E drive to the C drive in a file title "update". Once in the C drive, I hit the "open" command and when the "open" window comes up, I open the "update" file on the side where you specify the disk and file, and all the loads fill in on the left. Then I can open a specific load.

I think what I have reported above is correct, but this is an "over the shoulder" observation of a real pro at work. God Bless the USNA and its EE graduates. The Navy is good for more than just fire support! Ku-dude

PS: Greg, thanks. I don't know if our patch gives you any ideas, but I'd sure like to be able to get the new program and transport my old data. You 'puter guys are really nice, although I only get about a third of what you do. K-d

[ 02-05-2003, 05:58: Message edited by: Ku-dude ]

<PaulS>
posted
Ku-dude,
Your fix is an inventive fix but as long as it works nobody can complain. The original code (in visual basic) was assembled using the (then current) mscomm.vbx file. The newer file did not support the function calls that the older file did. The "standard" fix would have been to recompile the code using the newer mscomm.vbx file and it would work on all the current platforms. (but that would require the Visual Basic source code)
You and your friend have taught this old programmer a new trick - THANKS!

PaulS