New
Find
Notify
Tools

218 Bee case life?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know the 218 has a reputation for short case life. I understand this has to with case design and some of the rifles chambered for it at one time (various lever guns and the M43 Win bolt gun come to mind). I've got a Ruger #1 in this caliber and the brass is starting what looks like case head separation after only 3 firings. Load is 13.3gr H110 behind 40gr VMax's. This is listed as their max load @ 38,200 CUP. Is this normal for the cartridge, regardless of action strength?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Well, you can't have everything!

If you intend on pushing the envelope with maximum loads, then settle for short case life!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Craigster, try using a mild load for your first shot, then adjust your sizing die to just resize the neck WITHOUT TOUCHING THE CASE SHOULDER. This lets your cases headspace off the shoulder, rather than the rim. See if this does not extend the life of your cses somewhat, at least! The brass should not stretch much in a No.1 after the first shot, unless you have been setting the shoulders back when resizing. The chamber may be a little deep, like sometimes happens with belted cases also.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
If you reload to headspace on the shoulder (just as with a rimless case) instead of the rim, that would mitigate your problem with this rifle. However, as Steve said,
quote:
If you intend on pushing the envelope with maximum loads, then settle for short case life!
Well, shorter anyway.

BTW, I'm using L'ilGun and I don't have the short case life you're experiencing even though I'm using a Contender! L'ilGun consistently produces top velocities (and better accuracy in both the Bee and Hornet for me) at lower pressures than H110. I've tried H110 but I don't use it any more... [Wink]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
I neck size my 218 bee cases in my 221 fireball NS dies using IMR 4227 powder and get good results. The 218 Bee case is no PPC case and will not hold up like they do. When the 218 Bee came out it was like the 22 hornet and not many reloaded that cartridge as it was very inexpesive to buy factory loads in the old days. Now 218 Bee factory ammo is hard on the pocket book. The 218 Bee in a custom made quality rifle is one fine shooting varmint cartridge and is a much better choice over the 22 Hornet. Small cases like the Bee and Hornet are a pain to work with when reloading. The upside is the bore in those rifles chambered with those cases last a good long time. I enjoy shooting my 218 Bee and find it to be one fine shooting cartridge with almost no recoil and very mild report. It is just an ideal cartridge for varmint hunting close to populated areas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but, but, but, I WANT everything and I WANT IT RIGHT NOW! Thanks for all the input. I really didn't think the load I have been using was all that hot but it must be. Tell ya what, it's deadly and accurate out to 225yds and then some (sometimes). I really like the round and the rifle. I just like to Bee cool. [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote