New
Find
Notify
Tools

Point Blank Range
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for a solution, a simple solution, to calculate point blank range.

I think I need to be able to input

Muzzle velocity
Ballistic coefficient
max rise and fall of trajectory.

I would like the program to provide me at least the following

max point blank range
point of impact at a given distance.
for example 1.5 inches high at 50 yards.

Suggestions?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There are several ballistic programs that will give you the data; what you need to do first is define your idea of "point blank range".
The definition is the range at which you can hit your target without adjusting the sights. And it was originally defined in military terms, often the height of a standing man was the "target". A 19th and early 20th century idea.
I am sure you get the idea. The definition will vary depending if you are shooting prairie dogs in the head, or elk in the lungs.

Posts: 17290 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There ia free program for pc's called Point Blank, it gives all you ask.
For phones I like Ballistics AE, it is quite advanced and gives far more info than just MPBR.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4156 | Location: Hell | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here you go works well and its free.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thx all. Found this to add to the lists

http://www.shooterscalculator....oint-blank-range.php

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I use these

http://www.jbmballistics.com/b...rs/calculators.shtml

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I use these

http://www.jbmballistics.com/b...rs/calculators.shtml

Ditto! simple and works well.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady's website has a pretty useful and easy to use calculator.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep life simple if your a hunter and sight in 3"s high at a 100 yards..It works with any caliber and gives you a point blank center hold of deer to 350 yards and elk to 400 yards depending on caliber..

My 270, 300 H&H, .338, and 30-06 in actual test and some work are 3"s high at 100, that makes them 4"s high at 200, and dead on at 275, 3 inches low at 325, and 12 inches low at 400, and 22 inches low at 500...Its worked for me for years and I don't need a range finder...The same system that Jack O'Connor praised and used..A hunters point blank system.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use JBM Ballistics.

You can pick the bullet from a list or enter your own ballistic coefficient.

you can pick the size of the target you want to keep the bullet in and it will give you the max point blank range to keep it on that target.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Keep life simple if your a hunter and sight in 3"s high at a 100 yards..It works with any caliber and gives you a point blank center hold of deer to 350 yards and elk to 400 yards depending on caliber..

My 270, 300 H&H, .338, and 30-06 in actual test and some work are 3"s high at 100, that makes them 4"s high at 200, and dead on at 275, 3 inches low at 325, and 12 inches low at 400, and 22 inches low at 500...Its worked for me for years and I don't need a range finder...The same system that Jack O'Connor praised and used..A hunters point blank system.

+1

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jack Hooker used to advise shooting at the lungs and raising the point of aim a foot if that wasn't enough.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
quote:

+1

Make that +2. Been doing that with a 7mag since 1980

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
Looking for a solution, a simple solution, to calculate point blank range.

I think I need to be able to input

Muzzle velocity
Ballistic coefficient
max rise and fall of trajectory.

I would like the program to provide me at least the following

max point blank range
point of impact at a given distance.
for example 1.5 inches high at 50 yards.

Suggestions?

"Quickload" also comes with an external ballistics program that does exactly what you want. It is called "Quicktarget".

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAider,
2 inches is an excellent practice, and probably the most popular..

.The 3 inch at 100 is the extreme, and it flattens out trajectory a bit more, but unless one is used to it and grey matter mush muscle memory is intact, one can sure shoot over a game animal..especially us old curmudgeons who don't own a range finder or never have it handy as in my case.. Eeker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote