Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

180gr Scirocco / .300 WM
 Login/Join

posted
I'm not having good luck finding a load for my Tikka T3 Lite for this bullet. Any suggesions?

Groups are about 2", this gun is capable of much better than that with those lousy old inaccurate Nosler Partitions (emphasis on sarcastic when I say "lousy old inaccurate..").

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that bullet is tough to get to shoot well. I shoot the 130gr 6.5mm and it shoots well. Try jumping it .050" and see if it helps

One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
180gr Accubonds shoot under 0.4" groups all day in my Sako m75ss 300WM with RL-22 and Federal 215 Mag primers.

Never tried the Swifts....too pricy up here.....but the Accubonds proven themselves to me on big game too in the factory WS ammo and my reloads.

180gr TTSX's would be another to try.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
I can confirm that this bullet seems to have accuracy issues at least in my rifles. I tried about 10 different powder and seating depth combinations in 180 gr Scirooco II in 300 WSM and none have shot under 2". I can get many different combinations to shoot under 1" with Barnes TTSX. This rifle is a Kimber Montana.

I had the same problem in 25 WSSM and have pretty much given up on this bullet for these calibers. This one is a A-bolt with bull barrel and it shoots everything else sub-MOA.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using 68.5 grains of IMR 4350 and getting 2960 fps with 180 grain Scirocco II. Winchester model 70 300 win mag is shooting sub moa with this load.

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunt99:
I can confirm that this bullet seems to have accuracy issues at least in my rifles. I tried about 10 different powder and seating depth combinations in 180 gr Scirooco II in 300 WSM and none have shot under 2". I can get many different combinations to shoot under 1" with Barnes TTSX. This rifle is a Kimber Montana.

I had the same problem in 25 WSSM and have pretty much given up on this bullet for these calibers. This one is a A-bolt with bull barrel and it shoots everything else sub-MOA.

The Tikka will shoot Nosler BT's, Partitions and A-Frames very well. First load with Accubonds wasn't bad either and I think I'll find a good load for it too with a little more work.

TSX/TTSX's I had to give up on with this gun. They shoot very well out of my 375HH, but could never find the magic load for the Tikka.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Go Dawgs:
I'm using 68.5 grains of IMR 4350 and getting 2960 fps with 180 grain Scirocco II. Winchester model 70 300 win mag is shooting sub moa with this load.

Thanks, 4350 is the one powder I hadn't tried yet. Don't know why, I've got more loads with that powder than any other.

posted Hide Post
I switched to the 4350 in my 300WM and took my 2" groups to 1/2". Havent chronographed yet, but itshoots good.

I tried 4350, RL22, RL19, from MAX to light load and couldn't get the Sciroco 180, or 165 to shoot in my 300WM.

In my 7mm, the Sciroco shoots 1/2 groups at 3250.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a .300 Winny in post 64 Winchester Model 70 since 1973. It has a see through mount for a 3X9 Redfield Widefield scope. The rifle has never seen a gunsmiths hand. This combo has been with me from here to eternity including Alaska (Brown Bear and Caribou), New Mexico (Elk), Colorado (many Elk). My Son now claims it along with a grandson. It will shoot one holers with RL-22 powder, Fed 210M primers, and 180 grain Nosler Partitions or North Forks. With any other bullets it spits and cusses and puts out 2 inch groups and we always return to our old tried and true load. I use Accubonds with my .270 WSM's with great success, but with the Winny, it says no. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the range and the 4350 much to my disappointment was a total bust with these Scirocco's. The distance between the two furthest shots was something like 5-6 inches! I also tried a RL19 load which had a spread of 2-3 inches, better but still not good.

In the same shoot, I shot some 180gr Accubonds. 70gr of RL19 produced a 3 shot sub 1" group. I think the Scirocco's and the Tikka are just not meant for each other. Time to focus on Accubond loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might try the A frame 180 gr w/RL22 in the 76 gr range, mag primers. Work up as usual. good luck.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
Might try the A frame 180 gr w/RL22 in the 76 gr range, mag primers. Work up as usual. good luck.

A-Frames, Nosler Partitions in 180gr and 200gr both shoot very well in this rifle. Now apparently the Accubond does too.

Why am I messing with the Scirocco some may ask? Just cause I can't leave well enough alone. However, I think I've hit the end of this exercise.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
If your shooter likes the Accubond who might want to put some eyes on the old Nosler Ballistic Tip. I know it's not fancy nor expensive but in our family with 3 .300 WM is shoots wonderfully on deer and elk especially at longer ranges.

Accuracy has been superb in a bunch of Rem 700 CDL's with H4831, again kinda old school powder.........but it shoots.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote