Find
Notify
Tools

30-338 WM Head Stamped Brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum308
posted
I am contemplating a rifle build as a long range hunting rifle in 30-338 Win Mag.

Can anyone tell me where I might get head stamped brass?

Only accurate rifles are interesting

Posts: 34 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Quality makes the brass and Midwayusa sells it. They list it as out of stock.
http://www.midwayusa.com/brows...*652***670***9013***

Just curious why the 30-338 unless you simply wnat a wildcat?

The 308 Norma is the 30-338 with a touch longer neck. The 300wmag will do everything either the 308N or 30-338 will do and then some. The 300wmag can be found every where. If you handload drop the velocity 50fos and you have the 30-338 or Norma.

Again if you simply want a 30-338 wildcat by all means go for it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum308
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,

Thanks. They actually show it as "read to ship" so it must have come in.

For your information, I already have a .308 Norma Mag

This is high end custom built for me in the late 70s but I wanted an all weather rifle and a bit lighter too. I am considering .300 Win Mag and also the 30-338 rather than another .308 NM as I don't want to mix cases and they are not easy to come by either. Just wanted to know if anyone made the 30-338 with that head stamp.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers,
Magnum

Only accurate rifles are interesting

Posts: 34 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking out fit. What are the details, and who built it ?

Hang on TITE !!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't want to mix cases and they are not easy to come by either

I understand mixing cases. I have several wildcats all built on 280 Norma brass with the only difference bullet diameter.

I happen to like the 308N here is mine nothing fancy just a MKX action.

Is 308Norma brass any harder to get than proper headstamped 30-338 Wink

My 2 cents since you already have a 308N the 30-338 would be basically the same thing. Plus just a quick look the cases look very much alike (minus headstamp). If I wanted another magnum 308 I would go with the 300wmag. Gives you just a touch more juice, brass, dies, ammo VERY EASY to find.

Very nice looking rifle by the way.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum308:
I am contemplating a rifle build as a long range hunting rifle in 30-338 Win Mag.

Can anyone tell me where I might get head stamped brass?

You will like the 30-338mag I'm on my third one. My first one got early 80's did that with 1/12 twist next one did 1/10 and last one
1/11. I'd call Huntington (RCBS) when I had the first one build and talked to Fred Jr. He gave me loading data from the first one build by his dad and they were still hunting with it. I order the dies from them and he send along a form die for necking down 338mag brass and that what I've been using.

Well good luck

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnum,
Since using headstamps to keep your brass segregated, why not just use 7mm Rem Brass opened up to .308 for the .30/338. I have a 308 Norma and only use 7mm Rem.mag brass as 308 Norma brass is also difficult to come by where I live. And, the best part is that 7mm Rem.Mag brass is plentiful and usually given to me. The necks are a hair shorter than the 308 Norma, but it doesn't seem to affect accuracy as the headspace is on the belt anyway.

To open up the 7mm Mag. brass, I lubricate the inside of the neck with a light coat of moly grease and just a single pass with the sizing and decapping die does the job. The shoulder angle is the same, so no fireforming is required. The case length will be perfect for the 30/338.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote